Rough Pool Bottom

NathanHall NathanHall

Rough Pool Bottom

We bought a house with an indoor pool in 2015. Been working on the house ever since. Now the pool. Unused since 2010 at least, no water. Everything is working, there are no leaks, but the plaster looks terrible. As I don't have kids yet, we use the pool very little, we listened to the pool company that told us to paint the pool. They did a nice job, used 2 part epoxy paint, which turned out too slippery. The contractor said he would add a bit of salt to make the surface rougher for safety and now the pool bottom is so sharp it is very painful to put a foot down.
Any ideas on how to smooth the finish so we don't have red, bloody water? The swimming pool repair services suggests more paint or sanding down the salt or both. Any ideas? I have a Porter-Cable sander which is smoothing it out, but very slow...