Reusable Shopping Bags

Heidi Heidi

Reusable Shopping Bags

Hello,
I have been shopping zero waste for about two years.  I use my grocery shopping bags for everything - groceries, kids, camping, etc.  Unfortunately, they are falling apart and are beyond repair.  I would like to find a reusable bag that is durable (for many years) and can be used for any purpose.  I noticed Bea's heavy canvas looking bags and they seem quite durable, but I have not seen any in the marketplace that are similar.  Does anyone have any resources for purchasing very heavy duty reusable shopping bags?  The ones noted on the zerowaste amazon store are too simular to those I currently have at home and they have not handled well over the years.

Thanks!

Aimee Aimee

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

Try Land's End. Their wine totes might even work well for carrying multiple glass jars.
http://www.landsend.com/shop/for-the-home-totes/-/N-g3z?cm_re=NAV-_-home-totes-super

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

Second this suggestion! Any of their totes will last a lifetime! The only drawback is weight and stiffness, but it's a tradeoff. If you don't like, just return!
Heidi Heidi

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

Excellent suggestions - thank you very much!  I didn't even think of Lands End.
weezie weezie

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

Try the classic LL Bean Tote Bag.  They are the standard here in New England, used for everything from weekend packing to picnics.  Also a heavy stiff canvas that will truly last a life time (I sound like a commercial but I'm a Mainer and love LL Bean!)

I haven't tried these yet, but these Mid-Weight Canvas Totes from EcoBags look to be specifically for grocery shopping and lighter weight than the LL Bean or Lands End bags.
iris114 iris114

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

I bought the 5 pack of reusable totes from Envirosax about 8 or 9 years ago and I am still using them regularly.At first I hesitated to spend $35 on 5 bags but now that I have seen how long they have lasted, I definitely got my money's worth! They are a lightweight nylon that you fold into thirds and roll up and then contain with an attached snap closure (wish they used an elastic band instead!). I throw one or two in my purse when I do errands and bring more if I am buying weekly groceries. I cringe when some of these baggers put one or two items in a single plastic bag! These bags can hold about three times what one plastic bag holds. I wash them every week and am good to go. Definitely recommend because they are more portable than canvas - however you would probably need canvas if you are toting glass jars to and from the store.

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

Revisiting this post as I would really like to get 2 bags like the ones Bea Johnson uses in the Sunset videos, with what appears to be aluminum handles. Anyone find these bags anywhere? I have found similar items with Laundry printed on them...TIA

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

If the bag you like says "laundry" on it, is that a problem if it's the size and type of bag you want?

If you sew, you can make your own bags with the handles you like and the size and shape you want. Plenty of free tutorials on YouTube.  There are metal and faux leather and  plastic handles you can buy on line from fabric and notion sites or even Joann's probably sells these items.

I made a couple of linen and canvas bags but I don't like large bulky bags that won't fold up since I stick mine in a drawer when I get home. I never found the size and shape bag I like, so I just made my own.  I prefer bags that are wider than they are tall, I'm not a fan of "grocery bag sized" reusable bags that are tall  and narrow.  I pre-shrunk mine so I can toss them in the washer and dryer.

Re: Reusable Shopping Bags

it's quite possible she picked them up in France ...