Reusable Air Conditioner Filters?

Joules Joules

Reusable Air Conditioner Filters?

Hi there!

Anyone have experience with reusable / washable filters for air conditioners?

I hadn't even thought of a product like this existing, but it sounds good. I hate throwing away so many fiberglass filters, otherwise.

Any negative comments on the internet I've seen appear to be related to the possibility of filters not being cleaned or dried thoroughly. This seems like it could be easily remedied by, well.... cleaning and allowing them to dry thoroughly.

Thoughts on these filters? Any recommended type?

Thanks!  Julie

Anon in MA Anon in MA

Re: Reusable Air Conditioner Filters?

We, too, were sick of tossing used fiberglass filters - even though we really pushed their recommended life in our system (in other words, if they didn't look dirty, we kept using them!).  We purchased reusable air filters for our central AC two years ago and have had no problems!  The filters are cleaned twice a year.  We clean them with the hose, being sure to spray the water in the correct direction through the air filter to dislodge and remove the dust, and then dry them in the hot sun.  Our Zone 1 air handler is an odd size and the company custom-made our filter for no additional cost.  I hope this helps!
Joules Joules

Re: Reusable Air Conditioner Filters?

Thanks!