Refusing plastic bags from bulk store...the lesser evil???

Slushy Slushy

Refusing plastic bags from bulk store...the lesser evil???

Hi! I am a newbie to the zero waste living lifestyle and I have run into a problem. There is no bag your own bulk within an hour of my home. The one bulk store is 5 minutes away from me but will not let me use my own container, unless they dump the bulk items into my jar out of the plastic bag off their shelf. They will reuse the twist tie but not the plastic bag. Does this fall under refusing the bag? Is this option better than buying a box of pasta that I can recycle from the grocery store? Or am I forced to travel an hour to buy bulk? Please chime in, as I am feeling a little defeated today.

Slushy
Slushy
CMD CMD

Re: Refusing plastic bags from bulk store...the lesser evil???

Have you tried talking w/the manager at that store? I have a bulk store just up the street from me, and you can either bring your own bags or use theirs. And they prefer you bring your own, actually. http://simplybulkmarket.webs.com/.

Bringing your own container would still be the lesser of evils, especially if you communicate to the manager that you don't want to manage the disposal of their unnecessary waste (kind of like sending back junk mail to its original origin). Not being a jerk about it, but stick to your guns and bringing awareness to others. This blog has made me more aware to search for alternatives. And I think that would be the point of using your own containers and talking w/the manager.
Slushy Slushy

Re: Refusing plastic bags from bulk store...the lesser evil???

CMD~ Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've spoken with the manager and at first he said no. Then he agreed to do it. But after speaking with his store manager (there are only 3 employees including the owner), they could find no way to accomodate me because the store is tiny. He said they get in a 50lb box and bag it. They have no where to store the box until I come. The only option is for me to have them dump the stuff in my jar from out of their bag, which they have already packaged and will toss in the trash. He will reuse the twist tie. I'm so bummed but I wonder if the hour travel to another bulk store is even worse. I wish they would reuse the bag but I see why they cannot.
Slushy

Re: Refusing plastic bags from bulk store...the lesser evil???

Hi, Slushy. I can relate to your frustration with your recent shopping experience. In addition to communicating with the store how you would like to see them sell items in bulk bins, I would also remember to use the 5R's (Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot) to guide you towards the more environmentally friendly alternatives that are available. Several of Bea's archived posts, "ZW's #1 Rule", "Recycling" and "Composting" discuss the 5R's in more detail and were helpful informing me about the issues to consider in order to make better purchasing choices.