Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

12
busybride busybride

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

Hi Jay,

I've recycled all I had, but what a great idea! I'll keep this in mind in case an errant one makes its way into my mailbox.
Janette Janette

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

I know this post is old, but I just saw it and it really hit a nerve. I have been asking my parents and my husband's parents not to get us Christmas gifts for at least 10 years now, and they continue to give us crap we don't need. We have told them we'd prefer money or a trip. Why is it that people give what THEY WANT rather than what the recipient wants??? This past Christmas, my in-laws gave us a new TV that we didn't need. The TV we had works fine. The new TV gets fewer channels than our old TV did, and now we're going to have to get a new antenna, cable, or satellite to accommodate the new TV. We hate it! Yes, I know that sounds ungrateful, but Mom gave us a choice of a kitchen makeover (done her way) or a new TV. My husband said he'd rather have the TV. How about getting us what WE WANT or nothing, as we asked?!
Tammra Tammra

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

Hi. I didn't have a chance to read all of the replies but I am wondering if you could donate these to gifts to someone in need. That would allow abundance to continue to flow freely through you. I can think of many people who can't afford gadgets who would be forever grateful if you sent it to them. Giving feels good! Contact me if you would like me to find people in need for your gifts... keep sharing the love. tammrabroughton@gmail.com
Janette Janette

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

Tammra,

Thank you so much for this idea! I will definitely keep your contact information in case you can help me as I cull out stuff. Thanks again!

Janette

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Tammra [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi. I didn't have a chance to read all of the replies but I am wondering if you could donate these to gifts to someone in need. That would allow abundance to continue to flow freely through you. I can think of many people who can't afford gadgets who would be forever grateful if you sent it to them. Giving feels good! Contact me if you would like me to find people in need for your gifts... keep sharing the love. [hidden email]

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Refusing-Gifts-from-well-meaning-friends-and-family-tp2751429p4025108.html
To unsubscribe from Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family, click here.
NAML

ashley.myhre ashley.myhre

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

This forum is exactly what I was hoping to find.  I am on board with asking for no gifts from my siblings.  My husband thinks I am being a scrooge for not spending lots of money and receiving lots of gifts, but honestly, I just receive crap I don't want.  I have asked family to donate in my name to a local animal shelter, but they are not on board.  I am going to try that email busybride created and hope that helps.

In regards to all of the cards you get, I created artwork from cards I don't want any more.  It can be seen here:  http://diy-green.com/butterfly-art/

I am trying to free myself from clutter myself, but why not make art from the stuff you do receive, if it's not something you can donate to a thrift store or regift, create something from it.
NoWasteLauren NoWasteLauren

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

Oh, BusyBride! Don't listen to the haters. Bea has received a lot of negativity but it's only because we are so entrenched in plastic food wrappers, a hefty Christmas, New Years trinkets, and plastic Easter Eggs. Not to mention the day to day trash we encounter! We have to go so far out of our way to avoid trash it's not even funny.

I admire your bravery and I hope you can still move forward with your efforts. I haven't sent a formal e-mail to my family and friends but those who are close to me know about my choices to reduce and refuse. Maybe I will gather the courage some day.

Godspeed and congratulations on your decision to go zero waste!!
~Lauren~
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

I think that Bea receives negative comments because she is French and comes across to people that have never been to Europe as militant and harsh.

I do not believe that is her nature, but to the American temperament I can see her being interpreted that way. She probably doesn't get why Americans joke around and act goofy not slapstick. It's just my assumption.

If Bea took an on camera commercial acting course, she would get the feedback from the I structure in a nurturing environment. Just my 2 cents. I am a huge fan of hers, I just wish her connection to Americans was widespread and she would become a TV personality that was a household name and her way of life was the new normal.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 17, 2015, at 6:54 PM, AFWife_nowaste [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oh, BusyBride! Don't listen to the haters. Bea has received a lot of negativity but it's only because we are so entrenched in plastic food wrappers, a hefty Christmas, New Years trinkets, and plastic Easter Eggs. Not to mention the day to day trash we encounter! We have to go so far out of our way to avoid trash it's not even funny.

I admire your bravery and I hope you can still move forward with your efforts. I haven't sent a formal e-mail to my family and friends but those who are close to me know about my choices to reduce and refuse. Maybe I will gather the courage some day.

Godspeed and congratulations on your decision to go zero waste!!

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Refusing-Gifts-from-well-meaning-friends-and-family-tp2751429p4026431.html
To start a new topic under Friends & Family, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML
stephanie stephanie

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

I graciously accept any gifts given to me. First, my friends and family and I all decided to stop giving gifts decades ago, so I haven't received a gift from a relative or close friend since about the 1980s. I spent most of my career working overseas so I wasn't around to receive gifts anyway.

Second, the majority of gifts I get these days are hostess gifts, largely  given by acquaintances who obviously don't know my lifestyle, and I have no intention of lecturing them about anything zero waste since it's a boring topic in mixed company and I like to make my guests feel comfortable when they visit, not like they committed some faux pas the minute they walked in the door.

The popular hostess gift these days is olive oil.  My neighbor is the recipient of any food gifts that don't fit my dietary guidelines (which is pretty much every food gift I've ever received), so she gets olive oil, chocolate, "artisan" bread (usually has fat, oil, and salt in it so I pass on that), and any other unhealthy stuff.

I donate non-food gifts, unless it's something I really like, like a lovely scarf or a book I want to read. (We Marxists are always gifting books!)

Do what you want in how you decide to handle it, but once a gift is given to you, it's yours to do whatever the hell you want with it, including tossing it out your window, donating it, giving it to someone else as a gift, throwing it in your fireplace, or trashing or recycling it.  The last thing I want to talk about with people is zero waste, so nobody knows I don't care about receiving gifts, which is fine. I deal with each gift as it comes my way. But I'm always gracious about accepting them.
joyce joyce

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

If it was me, I won't refuse a gift since they may feel it bad.

Re: Refusing Gifts from well-meaning friends and family

I don't refuse gifts either-- zero waste is not worth hurting anyone's feeling over.

With that said, we have taken steps to reduce gift-giving in general on both sides of the family and within our household.  We draw names on my husband's side and decided to not exchange b-day gifts with his siblings and their spouses.  We do a home-made gift exchange at Christmas on my side of the family that is a lot of fun-- and something very close to zero waste as the spending limit is low and the creativity bar has been set pretty high.  Most everything has been made out of found materials, edibles, etc.  We also don't do b-day gifts for anyone but the kids on my side.

12