Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals

veierdam veierdam

Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals

Anyone know where old/used/unusable rubber gaskets/seals from the integrated canning jars can be recycled? It's great that the glass jars can be used over and over but it's recommended that the seals be replaced every 6 month-1 year. Regardless, I've bought several from Goodwill and the seals are in terrible shape so I have quite a stack on my kitchen counter hoping I don't have to throw them in a landfill.

Re: Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals

If they're rubber, they should biodegrade (as in composting -particularly if you have curbside, commercial composting), though may take a while.
Would be interested in others' thoughts.
veierdam veierdam

Re: Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals

Clark County, Washington state does not have curbside composting. We have a composter in our back yard but I hesitate to put them in there if they're going to take more than a few months to biodegrade because that wonderful mound is going in garden beds in the Spring.

Thank you so much for the idea, Jay.

 Subject: Re: Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals
 To: "veierdam" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, December 5, 2013, 11:54 AM

  If they're rubber, they should biodegrade
 (as in composting -particularly if you have curbside,
 commercial composting), though may take a while.
 Would be interested in others' thoughts.

  If you reply to this email,
 your message will be added to the discussion below:
  http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Recycling-old-rubber-gaskets-seals-tp4025688p4025689.html

  To unsubscribe from Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals, click
 here.
  NAML

Re: Recycling old rubber gaskets/seals

I know this is late, but how about just burying somewhere in your yard? A bit unconventional, but say you're gonna plant a bush, etc. just drop a few in the bottom of the hole ... No idea what effect it would have on the planting!
Also I guess just repurpose the gaskets somehow. You could also post on Craigslist/Freecycle, call around for local rubber recycling options (think tires), etc. It's work, but probably worth it.