Recycling Plastic Bags

Flour Girl Flour Girl

Recycling Plastic Bags

I have seriously reduced my plastic bag usage but I have quite a stockpile that I will be using up now.  At the slow rate I am using plastic bags now, it will probably take me years.  I found this page that says you can actually recycle ziplocs and other plastics such as the plastic wrap around toilet paper.  I had no idea.

http://www.plasticbagrecycling.org/plasticbag/s01_consumers.html

Re: Recycling Plastic Bags

If you're a knitter, you could always try knitting them into something more useful! Instructions here:

http://cocoknits.com/info/tutorials/plasticbagknit.html

She also has instructions for turning rags into something you can knit with! (I think that answers a question I saw in another discussion...)

http://cocoknits.com/info/tutorials/ragknit.html

Re: Recycling Plastic Bags

Flour Girl and Wrennerd: THANK YOU! Great Resources.

Flour Girl, Wow! somehow I hadn't ever known about all the other plastics that could be re[down]cycled with grocery bags, so GTK and great way to move out some remaining bags/plastics won't be reusing. Just wish could figure out what number those little pieces of plastic we still have floating around are. Manufacturer websites/labels aren't particularly helpful.

Wrennerd, --terrific ideas! Anyone who knits, or crochets, should be inspired.
I think one could use the instructions for prepping rags for knitting to also make a braided rag rug! We don't have enough, but either would be a clever way to transform ancient, treasured t-shirts, etc. into something practical for -say- a child going off to college, a new home, so forth. I think you could spiral/bias cut a t-shirt to minimize connections. I would think instructions are available online; maybe the same author's instructions for the plastic bags will work! The beauty of t-shirts, of course, is that they don't unravel; stretchiness could be an issue, I suppose.
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001084.tip.html has some tips, ideas on rag rugs.
Flour Girl Flour Girl

Re: Recycling Plastic Bags

I actually had to ask my grocery store about the plastic bag recycling because I didn't believe you could recycle all those plastics in with the grocery sacks.  They confirmed that it was fine.

I am doing a trash experiment right now to see how many days I can go using one 13 gallon trash can in the kitchen.  We are on day 13 now.  I could easily go another 4 days but my husband accidentally put some moldy fruit in there and now it is attracting fruit flies.  But I have still broken our previous record of 10 days.  We do need to switch to a small trash can however I don't want to buy a new trash can and we have a new box of 200 trash bags I had just opened which I figured will last us about 7 years now.

Re: Recycling Plastic Bags

We switched to a super small bathroom trash can in the kitchen. It fits under the sink, which nothing else would due to the way the pipes are laid out and the garbage disposal. We switched when our trash service changed. We live in townhomes in an HOA and we used to have two huge dumpsters for trash and one (single family size) blue rolling recycling bin and they only accepted basics. For a few years now, we have had one huge trash dumpster and one huge recycling dumpster. The comparatively tiny blue bins are history and they accept plastic 1-7 and the whole gamut. We had found our regular kitchen trash can was starting to smell long before it was full and we could go weeks in the summer when we composted produce peels & ends. (We make bone broth with produce peels & ends in the winter and cannot compost them afterward. Our worms don't like meat.) At first, we started using our 13-gallon kitchen can as recycling and the little can for trash. The recycling dumpster has an annoying slot instead of the typical lift-up lid, so it was extremely awkward trying to pick things out of the tall kitchen trash can (reaching to the bottom was challenging) to toss through the slot. We gave away the 13-gallon trash can. We kept the 3/4 roll of 13-gallon bags for random times. We take them camping and to certain events and I've packed up donations a few times in them. Yes, we still have 1/2 a roll several years later... :)

(Sorry so long, I've been distracted by Wall-E...)