Recycle more unusual items

Shauna CK Shauna CK

Recycle more unusual items

Thought some zero-wasters in the Bay Area, California might appreciate this list I found of where you can take hard to recycle items! I've also been utilizing the plastics recycling outside the main Berkeley Bowl (on Oregon st)- they told me all thin plastic lining is good to go there (like chip bags etc)- I really hope they're sure :)

One action item that is so important in all our communities, is that more items should be accepted in curbside recycling ~ it's so frustrating that here in alameda county we have so few plastics that they pick up curbside, while in the neighboring contra costa county, all "mixed plastics" are picked up curbside!! (I wouldn't buy any plastics anymore, but dorritos are the one habit my girlfriend won't drop hehe.) Hopefully the more of us that write waste management, the more plastics they will allow (until we can get companies to stop selling in plastic).

Cheers!

Re: Recycle more unusual items

Wow! Really surprised about BB accepting chip bags :) Previous alternative for us has been Lou's Upcycles who's not taking any new "donations" until 2016.
Another possible recipient for oddball items, that I had forgotten about until recently, is the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse. They'll even take something as mundane as egg cartons….
Locally, the Ecology Center, who does the curbside recycling, is a bit choosy about what items it accepts because they try to be sure that what they pick up can truly be recycled.

FWIW, Chevy's has fresh taco chips for TakeOut. Not spicy, etc like Doritos but pretty darn good with some guacamole. I haven't convinced them to use our container, but I *think* theirs is marginally more recyclable than your typical chip bag.
sherylbutler sherylbutler

Re: Recycle more unusual items

I think we can reuse any unused item if we have creative thinking. I have found some great ideas here https://www.handyrubbish.co.uk/blog/turning-junk-into-useful-new-items---5-brilliant-diy-projects.html
Usually, the aluminum cans are my biggest problem. I have literary hundreds of them but don't want to throw them away because they need 500 years to decompose!! This is why I am making pots and vases from them :)

Edward Charette Edward Charette

Re: Recycle more unusual items

Repurposing furniture , has this idea ever crossed your mind? I would like to share few useful tips on saving our old furniture. It is always easy to discard furniture but the feelings attached with them lingers. So I do everything possible to get them re purposed. Check this article which has tips for re purposing out old furniture http://www.redbins.ca/tips-repurposing-old-furniture-redbins/ . Thus before tossing them out , think of ways to giving new life to them. Above all save your money. It could be done for  a simple ladder display shelf to cabinet mantel decor. Giving a new feel would mean transforming trash to treasure.

Re: Recycle more unusual items

I don't see a link to a list ?? but as far as I know Recology is still not taking freezer bags, the bags containing frozen fruits and veggies. These are huge convenience foods (having frozen cherries in winter makes it easier to deal with the cold weather!) so I'm not going to stop buying them, but hopefully the tech will change and these bags will be recyclable at some point.

It seems like the world of who will take what changes frequently so if I have something I need to declutter or dispose of that doesn't go in the green or blue bin or can't be taken to Goodwill or Salvation Army, I go on line and figure out where to take it. My laser printer went on the fritz after four years a couple of weeks ago and I didn't want to unload it on Salvation Army or Goodwill without telling them it was broken, but when I called,  the guy said to bring it in,  which probably saved me from paying $$ to "dispose" of it since it's an electronic.

I'm generating a slightly larger amount of trash these days since my goal is to have my entire wardrobe (capsuled) be homemade.  When a garment wears out, instead of buying a used or new item, I make a replacement. That entails more new items like fabric, zippers, buttons, elastics,  interfacings, etc., but the natural fabrics are compostable and the scraps of polyester/manmade fabrics can be put in the donation box for Goodwill.  And who knew there were entire websites devoted to bra making?!!

Re: Recycle more unusual items

If you like to cook, you might want to try making  homemade "Doritos."  You still have to buy the corn tortillas to make the chips if you don't make them from scratch with cornmeal.  I would be surprised if there isn't a recipe for Doritos since there are many recipes out there in which  people are mimicking commercially made products.  Hell, there's an entire YouTube series with a woman who makes homemade versions of popular restaurant foods, like from  chain restaurants.