Recommendations for a face wash?

Katie Katie

Recommendations for a face wash?

Hello! My bar of face soap from my pre-ZW commitment is just about gone and I was wondering what recommendations you all have...Has anyone tried Dr. Bronners?

I currently use a Basis/Basic soap which is fantastic but comes wrapped in plastic in a cardboard box

Thanks so much! I'm also looking for a bronzer if you have any recommendations for that too :)

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Hi, Katie. I use Dr. Bronner's lavender-scented bar soap as a face wash. It has worked out really nicely and does not dry out my sensitive skin. I also tried the liquid Dr. Bronner's soap and found the bar soap to be more moisturizing. Maybe try the liquid version if you have oilier skin?

I occasionally switch between the Dr. B's soap and using almond butter as a face wash. The almond butter is the closest bulk alternative to my favorite packaged face cleanser from Dr. Hauschka. It sounds a bit strange to wash your face with a nut butter, but it actually does a great job at cleansing excess oil from the skin without drying. An added bonus is that it doubles as a gentle exfoliant.

Hope this helps!
Katie Katie

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Thanks Sandra! I appreciate your reply! I have some lavender Dr. Bronner's on hand and will switch to that when my bit of soap runs out.

MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Raw honey works well-I use it more as an occassional mask though.  I have been using Dr Bronners Tea Tree bar soap and really liking it.  Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar soap works well too.

I haven't tried almond butter for a face cleanser!  I like it so much I don't think I would want to spare any for my face!

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

I use raw honey to wash my face and it is fabulous! About a dozen of my friends have been washing their faces with honey, too, since I raved about it a year or so ago.

I infuse pesticide-free rose petals in honey (glass jar placed in sunny window for 2-3 weeks) and then strain the petals out (make tea with the honey-drenched petals...YUM). My 11 year old daughter is beginning the journey towards puberty and has just begun to have blemishes on her face. She has been "borrowing" my rose honey to use as a spot mask. I am straining rose petals from another batch of honey as I type. The first container is for her! The second is for a friend who ran out of hers. Then, I hope to replenish my own jar, as well....

There are other posts here and on the internet that give specific instructions. It is super easy and effective! I buy my local, raw honey in bulk at our co-op.
Katie Katie

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Oh that sounds so decadent! How is it with removing make up? I occasionally use a mineral foundation and wear sunscreen during the summer (I will burn like a crisp without it).

I'm still searching for a bulk honey supplier...my co-op does not carry it yet.

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Honey alone will not remove a lot of makeup, in my experience. I have used it without thinking after wearing makeup and it removes basic stuff. I've had good luck with mineral makeup, but not mascara or certain eyeliners.

I use the oil cleansing method to remove makeup. It slides right off with grace and ease.

I don't wear makeup all that often, so I prefer washing with honey most of the time. It is faster and does double duty as a mask when I have time for leaving it on.

I have read, but have not done myself, that you can add baking soda to a washcloth and then a bit of honey and it'll scrub makeup off.
Krystal Krystal

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Hey! I also just switched to Dr. Bronner's for my face (the citrus one). We use almond for our body, and I felt the citrus gave it just a bit of a boost for the skin. And both scents are sold in bulk/refill at my co-op. I have dry and aceneic skin, and I have noticed my skin is actually getting better--probably because I also do not bounce around using the last drops of a bunch of other cleaners (I used to be a spa manager, can you imagine all the bottles and samples I had lying around?!).

I use aloe to remove eye makeup and other persistent makeup.

For a face scrub, I use a bit of olive oil, brown sugar, and a few drops of vanilla extract for scent. This is a better scrub for the winter since the olive oil is so nourishing, but it feels amazing.
Krystal Krystal

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

I love this idea! I am definitely going to try this!
Katie Katie

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Great ideas! Thank you!

I never thought of aloe...I'm looking for a plant at my next trip to the flea market!
katie katie

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

Just wanted to share an update! I have been using Dr. Bronners (almond) and loving it! I am able to get Dr. B's in bulk so it has been perfect!
Katy Katy

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

I wanted to share my favorite face wash/body wash/exfoliant! Mix baking soda with honey and you have just about the best thing ever! Feel free to add a little water to the mixture to soften it. While you're at it, check out all of the things you can do with baking soda... I like to wash my hair with it!
Rose Rose

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

After trying every natural method (honey, oil, bar soap, just water...) I finally found Osmia Organics brand of bar soap.  It is fantastic! If you have been put off by bar soap in the past, don't write this soap off.

I have Perioral Dermatitis and have found it to be the only method that helps keep my skin under control (in addition to other way strategies like using no SLS, and oil pulling).

Worth a try if your not having success with other methods.
Susan Susan

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

I've been using a Norwex face cloth. Basically, you wet the towel with water and then wipe your face. It removes everything gently without soap. The Norwex cloth is a microfiber towel infused with silver.

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

For me -  I love ZUM goat milk soap.  Its gentle enough for my face, body and I even wash my hair with it 3x wk. (mid length, straight, slightly oily hair).
I found Dr. Bronners was just too drying on my skin.   I can get ZUM in bulk at my local co-op but even in regular stores it's only packaged in a small paper strip big enough for the bar code.
Val Val

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

I tried the raw honey face wash for 6 months and my skin went from okay to awful. I had so much acne it was awful.  I switched to using a bar of soap that comes in a cardboard box, no plastic bag inside. Really wished the honey worked but sadly it didn't :(.
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

I use juice beauty and I never have an issue. I weened myself off Perricone MD because of the price. The Perricone products make me look so much better but I am unsure about the ingredients. I think Bea uses origins for sunscreen and foundation at least because they recycle containers for all cosmetic lines.

I went to talk to them and their products are pretty expensive. For anti aging wash moisture eye night sunscreen and serum it was around $250. With no smaller versions or samples I didn't do it. At least when I buy Perricone the products are all in glass and make me look 5 years younger.

I would just go talk to someone at whole foods and they will set you up. They take returns if you don't like it. Another option might be a cleansing oil or the sponges or silver towels that are supposed to work without soap.

I have used coconut oil for makeup remover and Shea butter for raw allergy nose. Those work great. I would prefer one bar soap that is good for face body and shaving but haven't found one.

I think Goop has great info and trash is for tossers, Abe's market and Kris's Carr. If you look on those sites I think you'd find an answer somehow.

I just know that if I don't use Perricone I will spend that same money on peels and microdermabrasion treatments later. Because living in LA makes me a bit nutty about my face.

Hope that tangent helps.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Val [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried the raw honey face wash for 6 months and my skin went from okay to awful. I had so much acne it was awful.  I switched to using a bar of soap that comes in a cardboard box, no plastic bag inside. Really wished the honey worked but sadly it didn't :(.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Recommendations-for-a-face-wash-tp3998266p4026458.html
To start a new topic under Bathroom (incl. toiletries and medications), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML
Jane Antony Jane Antony

Re: Recommendations for a face wash?

What type of skin is yours? Always use the face wash that is suitable for your skin.