Recipes

MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Recipes

Thought I'd start a recipes thread.
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Recipes

Frico (Lacy Cheese Wafers) aka chips

Grate 5 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, Manchego or  Montasio cheese.

Adjust rack in lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (I use a silpat)

Using a stainless steel cheese grater, preferably one with small perforations or slits of half-moon-like cutting edges, finely grate about 3 oz. of Parmesan, manchego or montasio cheese.  Deposit teaspoonful of grated cheese, 1 teaspoon at a time, about an inch apart onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.  Tap small mounds of cheese with the tines of a fork to compact the cheese shreds slightly.

Bake about 3 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and any bubbles that form turn into a crunchy golden crust.  Remove with a spatula and drape over a rolling pin or roll around the handle of a wooden spoon to cool into its curved or rolled shape, or transfer flat onto a wire rack.  When wafers cool, they become crisp. (I just leave them flat)

Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.  Repeat the procedure with the remaining cheese.  Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.

Note: I know some who've done these in the microwave, but I haven't tried it. Plan to make more, they are delicious.

Re: Recipes

This post was updated on .
Sounds good -- I love browned cheese! Will definitely try this next time I have some leftover cheese to use up.

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

Hardly a recipe, as I just put a cup of dry roasted peanuts in the food processor, with the blade, and ran for maybe 3 minutes; produced about half a cup peanut butter. Pretty incredible tasting and obviously easy. It was a bit grainy so next time might try adding half a teaspoon or so of oil -or- just get used to it.
I've read that a "good quality" immersion blender can make nut butters as well. Anyone done this??

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

I've tried making almond and peanut butters with my Cuisinart immersion blender. It works, but you are right. The texture is not as smooth as what you would get from one of those peanut butter-dispensing machines at the supermarket. I think it also roughed up the blender's food processing blade and plastic container (granted, the Cuisinart is not top-of-the-line in quality). Maybe you'd get better results from a Vitamix?

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

Hmm, maybe should experiment with my "classic" Vitamix before putting it into the yardsale pile :-)

GTK 'bout your experience with the immersion blender.

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

We make homemade peanut butter regularly in our Vitamix! I like crunchy, so I pull my small amount out (reused small glass mayo jar) and then keep going until super smooth for DH & DD. The most delicious pb ever!!!

DH makes homemade peanut butter cookies a few times a year. His recipe was already good, but using the homemade peanut butter is AMAZING!!!

I just use peanuts. There is a technique to pulsing the nuts and not burning out the motor. I use the tamper through the lid and keep pounding down the nuts on a low speed. When it looks done, it is typically ready for MY batch. Keep going if you want smooth and creamy peanut butter.
NatalieInCA NatalieInCA

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

I am not sure what an immersion blender is, but I have a very basic blender and I make various nuts and seeds butter with it. Works fine. I made sunflower seed butter yesterday (roast seeds in 350F oven, then blend till you get powder, then add a bit of oil and blend more).

To save time, I like to make several things that use the same appliance in a row. For instance, yesterday, I made the seed butter, almond milk and apple sauce. I won't need my blender until next week!
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

Jay,

Hang on to your Vitamix for now, at least don't put it in a yard sale before checking out Craigslist/ebay...after not finding one on CL for some time (and I know we are both in the bay area) I broke down this weekend and bought a new one.

The first thing I used it for was to compost some scraps given I haven't got to the store yet. :)

I made soup today and chopped onions
Plans for nut butters, ice cream, green smoothies, etc
I got the dry blade container...plans for milling grain/making flour/making bread

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

This post was updated on .
Thanks Maria. Looked up my model on eBay. Not cheap! I don't want as my 10x10 kitchen hasn't enough room for duplicate machines. Current plan is to donate to MLK, Jr Middle School's Edible Schoolyard. Fabulous program started by Alice Waters. They'll use in the kitchen...

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

So generous of you, Jay!

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

What a blast! Can you imagine turning on whole classes of kids to homemade nut butters, grinding your own grains, etc.? I won't be there, but somehow to help make it possible.... :-)
Now I'm rummaging through other abandoned kitchen appliances, wondering what could be useful.
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Recipes- Peanut Butter

Oh Jay,

What a great idea!!! Kudos!

Re: Recipes: Baking Powder

Ok, so everyone except me may be doing this already:  1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar = 1 tsp baking powder. Don't mix ahead.

Aside from cooking, there are several other uses for Cream of Tartar. It is possible to get bulk Cream of Tartar, probably with bulk herbs & spices.