Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

The one thing I have a hard time giving up paper towels for is soaking up the grease when making bacon. I tend to lay the bacon on paper towels to blot the grease before eating. A normal towel doesn't work very well. Any good solutions?

Also, how do you get rid of your accumulated bacon grease?

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

I've found I can do pretty well just pouring & scraping the liquified fat out, letting the surface soak in some undiluted liquid dish soap then washing as usual. Doing while the pan is still a bit hot makes it easier. Stale bread is also pretty good absorbent.
Solidified bacon fat can be used to make bird suet. Others, including Bea, make soap once in a while.
If you must dispose, unless you having municipal composting, not sure. We combine liquidy gunk & any fat, kept refrigerated in glass jar during week, with organic cat litter (#1 only) that's going into muni composting. We use Biobags for hygienic reasons.

Be interested in others' thoughts, too.

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

So, didn't respond directly to soaking up fat from the pieces before eating: stale bread, or put on splatter screen, etc. as discussed a while back a long with many other good ideas.
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

When you say you pour it out, do you mean down the drain? I think my old pipes might revolt if I did that. (I don't have an issue with cleaning the pan.)

I use a panini maker for bacon (flat bacon!), so the fat collects in a side container. Four slices render about 1/4 c of fat - that never becomes solid. This adds up quickly and soon I'm faced with a cup of fat or more. In the past we used empty cans and poured it in/ freezed it, then toss on garbage day. Now I don't know how to dispose of this.

Also, I like to blot the cooked bacon on paper towels before eating. This is the only thing I use paper towels for and so far haven't come up with an alternate idea.

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

I pour into a [clean] can, then refrigerate, though some might use a glass jar if fat not too hot. Most bacon fat will solidify in the fridge. We scrape out on muni compost pick-up day. You would have to be really careful if composting at home, as any meat products will attract flies, rats, etc.

As far as blotting, if you don't like options posted earlier, haven't another suggestion.

See above also for potential alternatives to dumping in garbage. Otherwise, don't know.
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

Why did I not think about scraping the solid into the trash?! I always threw the whole can away with it. Duh! Thank you!

Right now I think I will still allow myself paper towels - I reuse them till soaked and I haven't yet used up my pack of 6 rolls I bought, maybe 10 years ago.

Now on to trying to find a good price/source for jars.
pilar pilar

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

you can reuse the bacon fat for cooking-- same way you use butter. great for sauteeing greens. In terms of the bacon being so greasy-- I bake my bacon on a cooling rack on a baking sheet. the grease is in the baking sheet and the bacon cooks flat and perfect everytime. i then use the bacon fat or compost it once it is hardened.
Dmarie Dmarie

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

I use 1/2 paper towel that is lying atop some newspapers. works for me!
Erin Erin

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

I never drain our bacon, just lift it out of the pan with a fork and set it on a plate. I save our bacon grease and use for all sorts of recipes, like sauteing collard greens with onion & garlic, for one (yum!)
Hayley Hayley

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but we only eat bacon when we go out to a restaurant.  I got so tired of cleaning up the spatter, either stove-top or oven.  Plus it is a very rare treat for us; we want to avoid the fat and processing chemicals.

But oh, how I love my bacon!

Yes, I know the restaurant has to deal with the grease then instead of me, but oh, how I love my bacon! LOL

I agree with posters who say bacon grease is good for some sautes....gives a taste that can't be obtained any other way.
beate beate

Re: Q: Bacon grease: how to dispose; paper towels - what else to soak up grease?

Thats it, just eat it!