Pet Treats and Food

What do you feed your pets? Treats?? Any favorite recipes? I know some have covered this topic elsewhere, but any additional thoughts, ideas?
WE're in the process of weaning our dogs off those treats that come in mylar bags. Ugh. Found some bulk bin doggie treats, but am interested in what others are doing. We limit people food as they seem to get mixed signals, like WHEN and what is acceptable.
Our puppy does, however, love popcorn ;-))

Re: Pet Treats and Food

Raw food diet for our kitty...raw chicken with bones (thighs and wings), raw beef, raw lamb with bones (first time last night), raw fish with bones (when we can find them like that, otherwise raw fish without bones), raw turkey (necks and giblets and liver), raw egg, and salmon oil once in awhile.

Treats are little bits of cooked things from our plates: rice, veggies (lightly steamed), fish, and egg. In addition, we grow veggies and herbs in our small backyard and she gets daily (supervised - we live in coyote country) outside time and likes to nibble on them. I grow catgrass (oatgrass) inside for her sometimes and she LOVES rolling in it and eating it and digging in the dirt, etc.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

Sounds good, Karin. Thanks.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

That sounds like we feed her from our plates when it is a treat. We don't. LOL Her food always goes onto her tray. (I was just trying to convey that we don't fix her treats special. They are just the little bits we don't finish.)

Tonight she is very excited. We are having a whole chicken on the grill and she is getting the neck and other "extra" pieces from inside the chicken. The lamb has been hard for her to eat. She loves it, but the small bones are super duper tough and she has yet to figure out how to eat one. She's devouring the meat off the bones, though. I'll try bashing the bones with a hammer tomorrow to help her out.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

Well, we retreated a bit from the "no people food" adage, but have limited it to two, as official treats: peanut butter (a little bit inside chew toy) and chicken livers, which I boil to kill potential parasites, then freeze in little chunks.
We added the chicken livers 'cuz our older dog had an emergency splenectomy and postop I was worried about anemia. Turns out they LOVE them. I even froze the cooking water and sometimes break off small pieces, and allow to melt onto the finicky one's food.

Both are high calorie, of course, so have to be judicious :-)

Re: Pet Treats and Food

You might want to read up on animal nutrition. Their digestive systems are very different from humans. What would make us sick doesn't do the same to them, necessarily. Each species is different, including homo sapiens. ;)

Also there is a difference between "calorie-dense" and "nutrient-dense" for pets as well as people.

Kymythy Schultze is one source (the one I recall off the top of my head), but there are many more.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

Right. Ran both by my Vet, whom I personally know and have great respect for, and he was OK with both in the amounts [and why] we give. We do know,of course, that the older dog's bone marrow should have risen to the iron challenge by now :-), so these really are "treats"...

We use a high quality dog food, Vet approved, for nutrition. Still don't trust my "chefing" skills to create appropriate food for them.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with what you are doing. Nor anything bad about your vet. :)

I am suggesting there is more to learn and additional sources, if you are interested.

Just like people doctors and processed people food, pet doctors and pet food have their downsides. Doctors (people and pet) in our country are largely influenced by the corporations who make the things sold to us (consumers). Prescription/OTC drugs (people) and prescription pet food, etc. Something to consider more critically...much like we are critically evaluating what we as humans eat nowadays more than say 10, 15, 20 years ago.

There are all kinds of statistics available on pet food (purchased from ALL sources), but I am not one to collect them and post them. Each person can choose what they are ready to research and read and decide for themselves.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

An interesting topic, and one that I would like to learn more about. I will check out the source you mentioned.

I realize animals' digestive systems allow them to eat foods that may otherwise make people sick, but what about transmitting pathogens from pet to humans? Parasites, for instance, may not make a pet sick directly, and will continue to grow and reproduce in the animal gut. An infected pet then acts as a carrier, potentially transmitting the parasite to other (human) hosts via the fecal-oral route.

Re: Pet Treats and Food

I don't have any recent experience with pathogens from pets to caregivers. Our current cat eats a raw food diet and has zero health issues. We've not gotten anything from her and have seen no signs of anything. Her ears are even super clean! Cleaner than any pet I have ever seen! (This amazes me because I have never seen a pet with CLEAN ears all.the.time with no interventions whatsoever at any point in her life.)

From my research (and 2.5 years of experience with this cat), it seems that the food eaten has a big impact on health and, furthermore, whole foods appear to have the greatest impact. Not too different from humans, actually... (in terms of fresher, least processed foods tend to result in healthier individuals.)

I've had other pets at different points and very different diets. This one is only 2 and a half, so she's too young for many issues that crop up later on. Thus far, quality of life has been very different, but there are other factors to consider. (Caregiver home more, indoor pet with supervised outings, children in house ages 7 and up, happy household, etc.) Only time will tell...

Re: Pet Treats and Food

It's very encouraging to hear that your cat is doing well with the raw food diet. Thanks for sharing your experience:) I agree, the foods we choose to eat have a huge impact on our overall health, and this applies to our pets, too.
Lauren Lauren

Re: Pet Treats and Food

Please don't feed bones to your pets. It can be very dangerous. My sister works as an emergency veterinarian and has seen a lot of bad things related to animals, particularly dogs, ingesting bones, especially sharp ones.
bettymelton bettymelton

Re: Pet Treats and Food

I am having gold fish as a pet and I feed her only fish food specially available for fish on aquaristic online.
If you have aquarium, you can get all the aquarium supplies here.