Pet Fur

We are awash in shedding animals! Typically I've used lint rollers or the vacuum cleaner to deal with fur-on-upholstery issues. I have a pair of Bluette gloves which, when I put on and brush with the fingers work great, but it's tedious. Anyone have a better idea for maintenance in-between vacuuming? Of course sweeping floors daily helps, but we have lounge hounds [and cats] and keeping off furniture is not an option.

Re: Pet Fur

Let me know what you discover!

I vacuum with our small canister vac or I use dishwashing gloves (damp). Both are effective; just depends on what I feel like dragging out... LOL

Re: Pet Fur

I've been using a reusable dry sponge called the Gonzo Pet Hair Lifter (purchased at the Container Store), to swipe the pet hair off couch cushions and other upholstery. It really works (I was surprised myself), and has helped cut down the amount of vacuuming I have to do to get rid of the fur. To make things easier on myself, I also lay out washable blankets in the spots where the cat most likes to sit.

Best to also address the problem at its source, of course. Everyday, I've been brushing off what seems like enough fur to clothe at least ten cats;) Thank goodness this happens only twice a year.

Along the same lines, I am curious to find out what people are using to remove pet hair and lint from clothing. Any suggestions?

Re: Pet Fur

This post was updated on .
Found a solution for removing pet hair on clothing: a clothing brush. There's a really nice one made with boar's hair and a wooden handle from the British brand, Kent. Caldrea also has a nice one. As does the "Life Without Plastic" website, and this one is free of animal-derived fibers.

I ended up buying the least expensive Kent brush at a store in NYC, and I really like how it performs. It easily picks up the pet hair without creating additional static. Every now and then, I'll run an old comb through the bristles to clean it out. Makes composting the lint ball easier, too.

Re: Pet Fur

Nice! Those Kent brushes are gorgeous <sigh> Thanks for the links, very good idea.
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Pet Fur

Sandra, thank you for posting the lint brush.  I purchased a few plastic framed velvet brushes a few years ago but one is breaking.  I have been waiting for the wood toothbrushes to be restocked before I place an order and the lifewithoutplastic website.

Re: Pet Fur

Ooh, I've been waiting for those toothbrushes to come back in stock, too! Let us know what you think of both brushes once you get a chance to place your order.

Re: Pet Fur

A whisk broom has been working for me. Just stiff enough to move the fur (and "dust"--gak) off without tearing the fabric. If I were to get again would probably go with corn husk as this is a bit prickly. Hopefully this will last long time.