Our county does not accept chipboard (cereal boxes) for recycling

Elizabeth Elizabeth

Our county does not accept chipboard (cereal boxes) for recycling

While reading out county's recycling guidelines, I realized they do not take chipboard (cereal boxes, tissue boxes, etc.).  Several towns in the county north of us do, so I emailed the recycling contact in our county to find out if they had any plans to start taking it and why they currently do not accept the material.

Their response was:

________ County markets two paper commodities; cardboard and #8 news.  Chipboard is a contaminant to either of these materials.  That is why it has never been an acceptable material.  Should market conditions change in the future, we would evaluate its acceptability at that time.

Has any one successfully lobbied their community to accept another item into its recycling program?  We don't use chipboard except for baking soda boxes (because we can't find it in bulk; the box ends up being composted), but chipboard seems like such a common material and I don't see why it should be an issue.  It sounds like they wouldn't make enough money from selling it?

Re: Our county does not accept chipboard (cereal boxes) for recycling

I know this doesn't speak to your request but seeing this made me hold onto the few boxes that come our way these days.Repack