North Puget Sound Z-W!

SarahCoach SarahCoach

North Puget Sound Z-W!

Is anyone on the forums from the North Sound area of Washington?  I'm in Everett and considering starting a community group to share zero waste ideas and spread the word in the community.  I'm also looking for help purchasing meat.  The local market I use is refusing glass jars and before I drive the extra 5 miles to Whole Foods, I'm wondering if anyone else as had success.

thanks!
BonnieN BonnieN

Re: North Puget Sound Z-W!

Hello Sarah, I live in north Everett and started my zero waste journey last fall after seeing the story on Sunset.com.  I have not yet attempted to buy meats in glass jars, simply because I haven't bought jars yet.  Rather than rushing into spending money on new jars, we've focused on re-using what we have first.  I'd love to help create a community for sharing resources and ideas in the North Sound.

I asked a bulk foods clerk at Winco in south Everett if I could bring my own jar to fill with bulk peanut butter and was told no outside containers were allowed.  Maybe repeated requests and discussion with management will help? That's my plan for next time.
Helga Helga

Re: North Puget Sound Z-W!

I'm not in your area but I have found that Mom and Pop sort of places tend to be more amenable to bringing your own containers.  They actually appreciate not having to buy packaging and I think are less terrorized by the health department.  If you have a small grocery or butcher shop in your area, give them a shot.  I bring in my own glass "tupperware" type containers my local meat market and they are glad to use them.
BonnieN BonnieN

Re: North Puget Sound Z-W!

Sno-Isle Natural Foods Co-op in Downtown Everett is all setup to take your refillable containers.