No bulk store Help

Cindy Cindy

No bulk store Help

Hi
I am in the UK and unfortunately I cannot found any Bulk shop near me
How could I do to avoid all the packaging ( paste, rice , cereals)

thanks a lot for your answers :-)
RachG RachG

Re: No bulk store Help

Hi Cindy,

I'm in the UK too - it's desperate times here!
Joyce Joyce

Re: No bulk store Help

Do you live near London by any chance? I just heard about this zero waste supermarket. http://www.beunpackaged.com/
Stephanie Stephanie

Re: No bulk store Help

Hi Cindy,

We also have no bulk store. Try to buy loose veg at the supermarket (it's usually cheaper and you only buy what you use). For pasta we buy Barilla, which is tasty and comes in a cardboard box (has a small square of plastic for the window). It's a little more expensive but we stock up when it's on offer. For cereal the inner bags can be recycled with carrier bags at the supermarket (not ideal but better than nothing). I'm trying to stick with glass jars for drinks and things, or tins, as they can be reused (MiL is a jam maker) or recycled and it is better than downcycling plastic.
If you can reduce the packaging you're already doing a good job, that can be a stopgap until you can find what you're looking for.
Have you tried https://www.bigbarn.co.uk/? Might help :)

Re: No bulk store Help

If I had no bulk available to me, I would:

1) Buy mainly loose produce- lots of fruits and veggies available--or grow your own in the garden

2) Collect recipes based on available produce (I see myself turning to potato dishes for zw carbs).  I think it is easier to find new recipes that use zw ingredients than it is to find bulk versions of packaged ingredients in my old recipes.

3) Look for protein in minimal/recyclable packaging (like eggs in compostable cartons)

4) Use oil, vinegar, and spices packaged in glass and either reuse or recycle glass jars.  Plant your own herbs in the windowsill.

5) Keep eyes open for local farmers markets, package-free options at regular stores.

6) Focus extra hard on other aspects of zero waste like refusing and using reusables instead of disposables
Sarah Sarah

Re: No bulk store Help

I am running into this problem too in Phoenix, Arizona. I have posted the question in a 2 local groups and no one else can seem to find a store that allows us to bring in mason jars and subtract the weight. The main type of food product I would like to use my mason jars for is grains. Sprouts & Whole Foods does not allow it. Natural Grocers are has grains sealed in plastic bags.

Re: No bulk store Help

Could you use Whole Foods' plastic bulk bags, rinse and re-use them?

Carol Carol

Re: No bulk store Help

I put grains/dry goods in cloth bags all the time at our Sprouts.

Re: No bulk store Help

It  definitely varies from store to store, so good news is you have to only deal with your store's policy, bad news is they can be really stubborn about change.
I tend to use some lightweight nylon bags for most bulk purchases, not expecting any tare reduction. At the checkout counter I act totally nonchalant and have *never* been questioned (though that might relate to having a lot of gray hairs!). The bags are opaque, and I've never even been asked to open them if tied shut. Particularly if it's busy, no clerk is going to hold up a line to check all your bagsā€¦. and, BTW, once the bulk is in the bag there's no putting it back!
Manu Manu

Re: No bulk store Help

You're my inspiration!
The journey to 0waste without bulk shops around!
Of course you would like to exhist bulk shops only and you know you're voting by buying less packaged items but...
Do you remember when 10YEARS AGO the british environment minister Ben Bradshaw encouraged people to leave the packages at your checkout from shops? Of course this can work if you're not the only one doing so and if you're sure about what they'll do with the waste.
So why not to organize an event-day to leave the packaging in the shop? I'm pretty sure you can find support from local environmental NGO or maybe just give them the idea let them organize it!
Let me know what you think
wish you all the best
Manu