New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

Anybody want to share resolutions for the upcoming year? How about thoughts, etc about what you did this last year for ZW?

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

Mine is to buy only good food and good leather -- from these folks (100 year warranty seems pretty low waste to me!)

I hadn't realized how ZW that resolution was until now. I guess ZW has changed my mindset more than I'd realized!

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

These SHOULD be *obvious* for me, but ... #1 Don't Acquire Nonessentials. If I do that, then #2 is pretty easy: Look Locally for Solutions/Ideas.
Dawnie Dawnie

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

Mine, pertaining to ZW is to plan better.  I have found that if I have planned ahead ZW is easier. Granted I'm FAR from a complete ZW lifestyle but I have made some changes this last year and have cut our trash to one bag a week so that's some progress.
My other resolution is to eat more whole foods which would help achieve ZW.

We are still working on it everyday and I'm finding it more automatic which is a good sign.

Happy New Year!

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

Another year! Any updates, thoughts?

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

I've been Eco- friendly long before reading bea's blog, but I feel like having done so this last year has been one of the most important things that has helped me to push myself to the next level.  It has also helped my husband and I to reach our financial goals of debt- free living and  have been able to go to part time work  in order to spend more time at home.   We've made a lot of progress toward zero waste (we are getting much better at refusing, use reusables, and have even cut down on our recycling.  We've even managed to have a baby without garbage service! We've tackled cloth diapering, babyfood making, and breastfeeding.  We learned to cook new foods at home,  We gardened. I've swapped my cleaning products for baking soda and vinegar and I put together my first capsule wardrobe for myself, and several thrifted capsule wardrobes for the baby ( one for each size).  I have taken 10 loads of clutter to the humane society thrift store.

For 2014, we are continuing our journey toward zero waste.  My husband is trying out a safety razor, I am working on my cosmetics, we've started a sharing closet for baby clothes, toys, and gear.  We hope to reap the rewards of our new lifestyle now that we have adopted so many changes, and to focus on experiences, not just what we are or aren't consuming.

Happy new year to you all!
weezie weezie

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

I somehow found ZWH about a month ago and soon became obsessed. I think I've read every post, I bought Bea's excellent book after borrowing it from the library, and am working my way thru the forums.  I've made a number of changes in the last few weeks:

I bought mesh bags for produce
I also use the bags to buy bulk at my local Whole Foods.  I stopped buying things like nuts in plastic zip bags and instead use my bags.
I bought a bar of shampoo to see if I can replace my plastic bottles
I bought a tin of shaving soap and a brush so I never have to buy shaving bream again
I started bringing a metal fork and cloth napkin to work to eat the lunch I bring
I question every use of paper towels and try using rags instead
I stopped throwing out paper coffee filters by buying a Coffee Sock!
I stopped using most plastic wrap and tin foil by getting Abeego wrappers

I realize that a lot of my items start with "I bought". :-). But I feel good about finding alternatives to disposables or particularly wasteful products.

Re: New Year's Resolutions? Reflections on last year....

Yay! Congrats!
It may seem you're "buying" right now, but consider it an investment. It does sound like you've covered the initial "big ticket" reusables, and unless you're particularly crafty, investing as you did in these products is extremely practical.
Glad you've been reading through the Forum posts since, as you know, there's a lot of good, tested ideas. Be sure to post what you've learned (to help others), as well as to pose any questions you may have.
A big investment you can avoid are the reusable glass jars-- for now just use empty jars and containers as you finish their contents. Take your time as you figure out how few/many and what size storage jars you really need. Then if you "need to" you can start hitting the second hand shops. Again, take your time.
The same theory applies to clothes, household items, and anything else you could be tempted to buy: the first choice might well be to do without. Simplifying is a big part of the ZW lifestyle, otherwise you won't want to stay with it. The less you have, the less you have to concern yourself with their care and disposal.
Onwards.