Need gift ideas for children...

MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Need gift ideas for children...

Hi,

I've got a 2 yro nephew birthday coming up and it's family -- tangible gifts are the norm...even though kid items are already overflowing. This is the 3rd child, truly they need nothing, it's a huge family so there will be far too many gifts...however I'm the aunt so something is expected - and I hate to gift money. It's not till the 17th so I do have some time to make something.

Thoughts? I have this problem with all kids in the family - all are out of the area so experience gifts/time spent aren't an option.
endearing endearing

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

Can you get him a gift certificate to an activity in their area?
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

What does a 2 yro do as an actiity? - can you tell I'm not a mom? :)
zoebird zoebird

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

A membership to the zoo, childrens museum or other similar location would do well.
endearing endearing

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

My daughter turns two in April. Here are some things we do:
MyGym (It's a mommy and me place where they have classes and activities for babies there are lots of different ones out there.)
If they live near state or a national park you can get yearly passes for parks. My daughter LOVES being outside.
If they go to a public pool... passes for that... or swimming lessons
We attend a music class where they sing and dance (her favorite.)
I would rather my family members get her things like this then more toys.
My parents started a savings account for her and put money in it for Christmas and Birthdays.
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

Thanks for some ideas. I'm having a bit of a problem as the one I need to gift this month lives in a small town/not much to do. I found a class or two, but at very specific not doable for working moms times.:(

There is a small zoo in a neighboring town, it's a bit far...so here is my question: if I gift a child a membership, is it expected I'd get one for the whole family? I mean, as a small child they can't go unless a parent brings them...I ran into this with my other nieces and nephews...do I need to buy the family membership? Because those run into several hundreds of dollars (more than I want to spend). What do you think is the etiquette here?

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

Well, personally, I think you shouldn't have to subsidize the entire family, but conversely don't put them in the position to have to spend unnecessarily. Who knows, gifts that require some amount of travel/effort wouldn't be appreciated at all!
Maybe should call parents and ask for suggestions??
endearing endearing

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

I would suggest talking to the mom. Let her know your ideas... I am sure she will have some suggestions.
RobinMills RobinMills

Re: Need gift ideas for children...

I ran into this with my other nieces and nephews.
if your wearing sexy erotic lingerie that makes you feel sexy, you're halfway thereto turning heads.