Natural Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Victoria Victoria

Natural Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Hi there. Can anyone recommend a recipe or good natural brand for hardwood floor cleaners? I read that vinegar and acidic cleaners could be harmful to the finish and make it dull over time. I am a new homeowner and want to make sure I take good care of my hardwood floors. Thank you!

Re: Natural Hardwood Floor Cleaner

You're right, don't use acids! Same story for all surfaces made from organic materials, such as *real* linoleum. It will eat away at any finish you have, and eventually destroy the wood/whatever. I use a highly diluted (less than 1 Tbs/quart boiled water*) form of Oasis dish/houshold cleaner, but really any mild dish detergent you can find in bulk would work. The key is to just spray on and mop up, so that little to no moisture is left behind. Gotta use some elbow grease. Frequent sweeping with a soft bristled broom, limiting shoes, etc. will keep your flooring clean and preserve the finish longer.

Personally wouldn't use a "real" soap because of scum issues, but each to their own!

*boil to kill any organisms, so can store in spray bottle as long as you want
Victoria Victoria

Re: Natural Hardwood Floor Cleaner

Thanks Jay!
Cherry Cherry

Re: Natural Hardwood Floor Cleaner

 We have hardwood throughout our house and we use  Hoover FloorMate Cleaner which is bought from the Vacmasters, Canada. ( https://www.the-vacmaster.ca ). It's really good for all sealed hardwood floors and also for  tile, vinyl, and laminate. We have a dog  and this shampoo is good in removing the urine odor too. :)