My No-Poo experience

Hello all-

I thought I would tell you about a no-poo regimen has been working for me.

First my hair texture: I have always had thick hair that is neither curly nor straight--- but plenty frizzy!!!

Next, how it all started: While camping this summer I didn't wash or condition my hair--  Just took a daily dip in the lake, and my family kept commenting on how pretty my hair was.  I looked in the mirror, and sure enough, it was shiny and bouncy and much waiver than usual.  So even after we got home, I decided to keep going with a rinsing and air drying only routine.  I brushed it and ran my fingers through to work the natural oils toward the ends of my hair. Because my hair is thick, it absorbed a lot of oil..

At the end of the first week it was a little greasy, so I washed (scalp and roots only) with a little castille soap and no conditioner.  The next few weeks were good.  As long as I was dedicated to my brushing, my hair didn't get a bit greasy.

A little over a month into it, I noticed a ton of gray flakes in my hair brush and all over my shoulders as I was brushing my hair.  It didn't look like dandruff, but I don't know what it was.  Some no-poo blogs suggest that this might be silicate build up from conventional conditioners flaking off.  I don't know whether that is true, but it hasn't ever happened again.

As long as I am good about brushing, my hair looks and feels great.  My frizziness has gone away.  My hair has a nice natural wave to it, and feels strong and healthy.  A nice coating of natural oils has helped my hair to air dry faster (because it's long and thick it used to take 3 hours or so to air day-- now it takes just 20 minutes).  I can get a lot of volume by turning my head over and massaging my scalp before standing up and flipping it over.  The only thing I miss is that nice slimy feeling conditioner gives wet hair.  My wet  hair feels coarse and tangled and I have to avoid combing when wet.

If I'm not good about brushing every night, my hair gets a waxy patch near the scalp. This might be partly due to hard water build-up.   I just wash with a dab of castille soap near the roots.  No conditioner ever!!!  I think that's the secret to success.  Conditioner coats the hair with substances that prevent your natural oils from doing their job.  Instead they sit on top and make your hair look greasy.  Ditch the conditioner, and you might be surprised at how much better your hair looks!

I also use henna to color and condition once a month.  So far, so good!  It's been 4 full months, and I have no intention of going back to shampoo and conditioner ever!  This has saved a fair amount of money, energy and waste associated with the production of the shampoo and conditioner, chemicals from going down the drain, and of course, those plastic bottles and lids!  (Where I used to shop, bulk shampoo was in a gallon jug that went to the recycle bin when customers purchased its contents.  The pumps ended up in the trash).

I can see how this might not work as well for someone with fine or thin hair, but for anyone with thick hair, I would suggest giving it a try!

Re: My No-Poo experience

Trish - How's it going with your no poo regimen? Thought of you when I saw a youtuber do her routine including wrapping long hair in a t-shirt and sleeping with damp hair in a sleep cap...
Watch "1 Year No Poo Q&A" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/u5z_E6SBX9k

Re: My No-Poo experience

it's going great!

I haven't used any conditioner since July, other than the conditioning benefits of coloring hair with henna

I still wash with castile when it feels waxy due to hard water build up (about once a month)

I have dry ends because I am not diligent about my brushing and my hair is pretty long (28 inches or so) but not too bad

my mother and my husband assure me that i don't smell (they would be honest)

It's to the point where it's not much of a regimen at all-- just rinsing every other day or so, and brushing on the off-days.

Re: My No-Poo experience

That sounds way, way more doable than that video above. I'm growing my hair to donate and am considering this route except it gets tangled during washing so I currently am using up old conditioner on the length. DD recommended using diluted baking soda followed with diluted ACV 1x/mo to clarify, maybe that would help you? I find DB to be kinda waxy feeling. But we don't have hard water, either. Thanks for feedback.

Re: My No-Poo experience

I am not a fan of the baking soda vinegar routine personally.  It seems to me that it messes with the pH too much and is drying.  Also, I don't have a source for package-free vinegar, so it's just just as bad as conditioner as far as generating recyclables goes (for me).

I really don't mind using a little castile soap as needed to combat the waxy build-up.  No packaging waste, and it's something we keep on-hand in the bathroom anyway.

about the tangling in the shower-- that was weird for me at first too, but I found that going cold-turkey on the conditioner was essential.  I don't know what kind you use, but I used to use some with silicates that coat the hair and give that great detangled/slick feeling.  However, it wasn't until that coating wore away that my hair was able to absorb its own natural oils efficiently.  Now that my hair absorbs natural oils, all i need is to brush an greasiness is a non-issue.  It's awesome.