Moving Zero Waste

Rachael B Rachael B

Moving Zero Waste

Hi, I am a college student and I am aspiring to zero waste, right now I am getting ready to move from Colorado to Minnesota. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to make my move as zero waste as possible. I'm trying to use paper and clothing/cloth as packing material, reusing old boxes, reducing possessions so that they fit into my car so that I don't have use a gas-guzzling truck. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? Thanks!
trish trish

Re: Moving Zero Waste

Good for you!  I wish I had been on board with the zero waste lifestyle in college!  You are getting a great head start!

It sounds like you are off to a great start with the move too.  One suggestion I have is to skip boxes for the most part and just put items right in you car.  You can only fit so many rigid cubes in a car, but you can fit more in as individual loose items that can be tucked into tight spaces.   Only breakables need to be boxed, and they can be packed in clothes, towels, cloth napkins, etc.  My other advice you probably already thought of, but here's a little list in case:

Take this opportunity to plan a capsule wardrobe,and donate all of the clothes that don't make the cut
Think about your possessions room by room and pare down all possessions in each room, donate the rest.
Scan important papers and recycle the paper copies.  Electronic files pack light!  Think about this for any recipe books, family pictures, etc.  Sometimes you can find PDFs online for manuals for things you have purchased.
Consider donating any CDs, DVDs, etc.if you haven't already done so.  If you know how, you can save digital files first.
Try to consume any food, cosmetics, or other consumables before you go.  Get really serious about menu planning to use up everything in your pantry.
Fluffy blankets, towels, and pillows can be tightly rolled and secured with belts, shoelaces, etc. And are fine to stack other things on top of.
Don't purchase anything that you can live without until after the move.
If you have half used containers of things, put them in a smaller container.  For example, a partial box of laundry soap might fit in a quart jar.
Try to put things inside of other things n general.

That's all I've got for now!  :-)

Re: Moving Zero Waste

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Rachael B Rachael B

Re: Moving Zero Waste

Good ideas. I think I've done pretty well as downsizing my possessions and using clothing and other cloths as packing material is a great idea. I also like the idea of not using boxes.