Medical Care

Not going to get graphic, but had an encounter with a mandoline last night and I lost. As we were scrambling, amid the cursing, for bandaids, etc. I started wondering what I would do without said bandaids, or for that matter paper towels/tissues, so forth. Cloth scraps, what?? And no, despite the temptation, did not throw the mandoline out the window :-))

Re: Medical Care

Hope you're okay there, Jay. I love finger foods but this is taking it a little far;)

You've probably already read Bea's recommendations on the May 2010 post, "What about meds?". I think her paper tape and gauze suggestions would be okay. I tend to be more cautious about these things, especially if it's a deep cut, and would suggest using sterile dressings when possible (maybe individually paper wrapped gauze pads?) and a triple antibiotic ointment (no getting around the plastic tube). The hydrogen peroxide and iodine solutions are good for surface wounds, but could inhibit proper healing in deeper cuts. Hopefully this is a rare occurrence, so you won't be needing an arsenal of first aid stuff. I have to applaud your dedication to zero waste, even in the midst of an emergency:)

Re: Medical Care

".... finger foods" ROTFLOL (first time since "the incident"). I was just glad I had paper towels handy. It'd take a lot for me to give up real first aid items, I gotta admit, so thanks, Sandra. I had read Bea's comments, and at the time thought them a bit light weight. Maybe I was just thinking about ZW to divert my ahem, "thoughts"...
Yea, have a kid whose on a roasted sliced veggie kick, so tonight used the -gasp- Cuisinart. Much safer. Good news is I didn't have to do the dishes tonight!
Thanks, again
Julie Julie

Re: Medical Care

I'm glad to hear you are ok, Jay. I have to say I've been thinking about ZW medical care quite a bit lately. I haven't even started to ZW my bathroom. I'm still so focused on the kitchen, ATM. But I do work at a hospital and the amount of waste we produce there is unbelievable it really makes my efforts at home seem insignificant. Sad, really. :(

Re: Medical Care

I'm still pretty limited in what I can do (amazing how much you need a thumb) hence all my longwinded posts today....
I worked in hospitals from the early 70's (dating myself) until the mid 90's, and saw a huge change as they moved from reusables, fabric drapes, stainless steel, and glass, to the single use plastics and paper of today. Totally understand why, though. There's some pretty tough germs out there! It is a shame, but sure don't miss reusable needles (ouch) and glass IV bottles :-))
Disposables are yet another reason medical costs have skyrocketed. Since things can't be reused, everything becomes a patient charge.

Re: Medical Care

I agree, the volume of medical waste produced from single use, disposable items really is a shame. What makes all this waste more aggravating is the CDC's estimate that one in 20 patients will still acquire an infection while in the hospital (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/hicpac/infections_deaths.pdf), most likely the result of inadequate hand washing. I recently read about an organization (http://www.hprc.org) that is hoping to get more hospitals to recycle the plastics that don't come in direct contact with patients (including IV bags, wrappers, basins, etc.).

Hope your thumb is doing better today, Jay:)

Re: Medical Care

It's pretty much down to just annoying, e.g., having to wear a [latex] glove a lot! Thanks.
Thanks also for both links:
I've heard the same about handwashing in hospitals, and what a shame! Good article, though I *thought* we were doing pretty well in NICUs, where I worked <sigh>.
But how exciting that there is such a coalition as the HPRC at work! Well articulated mission, etc. Good to know a bunch of smart folks care and are doing something
It's all about paying attention and being part of the bigger picture, isn't it?
Karianne Karianne

Re: Medical Care

If the wound doesn't bleed too much, you can use clay on it. The clay will dry and form a protective layer (also suitable for use on pimples). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luvos