Make or buy butter?

Anne-Laure Anne-Laure

Make or buy butter?

Is it better to make or to buy the butter? (regarding the waste and the time we can keep it in the fridge). If you make it, i think you cannot keep it in the fridge for a long time. If you buy it, you have the packaging which will become a waste after. So what do you think?

Btw it is a very good initiative! I am trying to do the same in France but I am just at the beginning (and still student)!

En espérant que tu serves de modèle à beaucoup de monde!
Bonne continuation,

Anne-Laure
Sara Sara

Re: Make or buy butter?

Well if you have a use for buttermilk then you could make the butter. It doesn't take very long to do it and it is tasty. We've made it at home and I swear it tastes better. But I haven't much use for buttermilk, so we've gone back to buying butter. Otherwise I make baked goods that I normally wouldn't to use the buttermilk up... Hmm, a conundrum! :)
April April

Re: Make or buy butter?

I haven't tried making butter- but I have tried buying different kinds to find a brand with less wasteful packaging.  If you can find it and if you are ok not having real butter- country crock in sticks, is the way to go.  Of course, like other stick butter, the outside packaging is cardboard.  But, unlike other stick butter- the wrapping on the butter is not waxy or foil.  It's a paper wrapping!  I don't find country crock in sticks, in all grocery stores- but when I find it- that is what I've been buying.
hannahransom hannahransom

Re: Make or buy butter?

I make it, but I am currently only able to get milk with a plastic cap/glass bottle so I don't know if that is any better than the butter wrapping. I make it mostly for health reasons.

in terms of it lasting longer, I don't think that is true, unless you are getting gross butter from the store. You can also freeze it.