Living with the family

noodlez89 noodlez89

Living with the family

Anyone out there lives with their parents/family? I started on the zero waste journey when I was living away from my family in college where I was in charge of all my purchases. Now that I've moved back with the family where my mom is in charge of groceries and other things, I feel helpless. I can't just impose on her what I think is right since I don't do any of the shopping and though she's sympathetic, she doesn't completely understand. I've suggested that we do a spring cleaning of the house but it's hard to get the momentum going if there's 6 of us and only one is excited about it. Any thoughts?

Fun facts:
My dad recently bought 5 deodorants because they were cheap. They are all on his desk at the moment.
My two younger sisters now use cloth pads which I am very proud of.
I have been trying to get the fam to use these knitted cloth sponge I found on Etsy (that I've convinced my roommates to use) but it has been a mixed response.

Re: Living with the family

Actually I am "the parent", and only have a few thoughts: first, congratulations on finishing school, on working towards ZW, on being aware!
You have already had success with your sisters, and that might be the best focus for you. Shopping habits, personal beauty products, books and paperwork, eating habits are all potential areas to work on. Maybe they'd be willing to watch "The Story of Stuff". Surely that'd have a lasting impact on them. Converting your younger family members will be easier, and could help present a united front with your parents. Good Luck, and be patient.

Re: Living with the family

Noodlez --

Another thought: maybe you will win them over gradually when they see how little you need and how organized you are able to be with your stuff.

Love the bunny avatar! :)
noodlez89 noodlez89

Re: Living with the family

I use less (beauty) products than my dad it's kinda funny.

My family isn't too into the whole keeping up with the Joneses thing (we spend most on our vacations) but they definitely do hoard. Damn those free gifts!

Right now I am looking forward to two of my sisters moving out in the next several months so I can initiate some reducing around the house.

Re: Living with the family

Maybe you could volunteer to go shopping?  Your mum might appreciate grocery totes,  bulk shopping, and farmers markets more if she doesn't have to go herself.  Have her write a list for you, and stay in the family budget.