Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

Janette Janette

Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

I wasn't sure where to place this post, but I guess it's more of a general lifestyle question than anything.

This way of living is still very new to me, and it seems every time I try to make a change, I'm faced with a new challenge and ten questions for one change.

I need liquid stevia for my fresh pressed juice. It's really the only type of sweetener that works for me with juice.

The brand I like (NuNaturals) comes in wonderful glass dropper bottles that would be great to reuse. But I can't find bulk liquid stevia. Am I just not looking in the right place? Do I keep buying the 2-oz. bottles? Is there another use for these bottles once the stevia is used up? Is it possible to make my own liquid stevia and reuse the bottles that way?

I really want to go toward a zero waste lifestyle, but I get stumped on how to go about it.

Re: Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

Found this at Stevia.com; Don't know if it helps. Could probably also use Vodka instead of the "grain alcohol":

"Q) Can I make my own Stevia Extract?

A) Yes. A liquid extract can be made from the whole Stevia leaves or from the green herbal Stevia powder. Simply combine a measured portion of Stevia leaves or herbal powder with pure USP grain alcohol (Brandy, or Scotch will also do) and let the mixture sit for 24 hours. Filter the liquid from the leaves or powder residue and dilute to taste using pure water. Note that the alcohol content can be reduced by very slowly heating (not boiling) the extract and allowing the alcohol to evaporate off. A pure water extract can be similarly prepared, but will not extract quite as much of the sweet glycosides as will the alcohol. Either liquid extract can be cooked down and concentrated into a syrup."

Excellent question re the glass dropper bottles! Hope folks here have some suggestions.

BTW, if you have pets, I'd check with your vet regarding safety of Stevia plant if you chose to cultivate...
Janette Janette

Re: Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

That's fantastic! I will definitely try it! I can use the powdered stevia I have until I can get a plant. I have some vanilla vodka, which I bet will work great. Thank you so much!

Janette

On Mar 10, 2012 5:09 PM, "Jay [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Liquid-stevia-and-glass-dropper-bottles-tp3815278p3815864.html
To unsubscribe from Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles, click here.
NAML

Re: Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

Cool! Bet it tastes great with the Vanilla Vodka. Let us know how it goes :-))
Janette Janette

Re: Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

Well, my experiment didn't turn out so great. The liquid I made isn't sweet enough! The recipe doesn't give exact amounts or even proportions, so I was just guessing. I'm going to look for a more precise recipe.

I'd still appreciate some suggestions on uses for these little bottles, in case making liquid stevia doesn't work out and I have to go back to buying it.

Janette

On Mar 10, 2012 8:00 PM, "Jay [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool! Bet it tastes great with the Vanilla Vodka. Let us know how it goes :-))

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Liquid-stevia-and-glass-dropper-bottles-tp3815278p3816028.html
To unsubscribe from Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles, click here.
NAML

Re: Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

I use the 2-oz amber glass bottles with glass droppers for many handcrafted face & body care items. Right now, I have aloe vera gel in one, face serum in another, and oils for the oil cleansing method in a third. I wash them out and sterilize them in boiling water for ten minutes when I use them for handcrafted items I make for others. I just wash them for my own use...

Have you considered skipping the sweetener and/or reducing the amount and allowing your taste buds to become accustomed to the new flavors? Maybe I misread, but it looks like you are adding stevia to juice. Fruits and vegetables turned into juice are generally sweet on their own once one weans themselves off the artificially sweetened foods of our time. Just a suggestion that avoids the whole issue... :)

Meanwhile, to help you in your search for a recipe, try researching how to make extracts and tinctures. You are aiming for something in that range in order to create liquid stevia.

Good luck!
Janette Janette

Re: Liquid stevia and glass dropper bottles

These are great suggestions!

I'm using the stevia for fresh-pressed veggie juice, like juice made from cucumber, celery, argula, and lettuces. I don't usually add fruit to the juice. Sometimes I can skip the sweetener if I add carrot.

Janette

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Liquid-stevia-and-glass-dropper-bottles-tp3815278p3840307.html