Light bulbs

I've finally run out of my supply of incandescent light bulbs, and it's time to make the switch to more energy efficient models. (I know, I'm rather late to the party...but I did have a rather large stash of light bulbs to work through!) What type of light bulbs are best for recessed lighting vs. task lighting? Is it best to mix different types of light bulbs (CFL, LED, halogen) together in order to avoid the greenish cast that comes from lighting a whole room with CFLs? Has anyone found a brand that doesn't wrap their LED bulbs in that horrible plastic clamshell packaging? Thanks for your help!

Re: Light bulbs

Well, here's an incomplete answer :-)
My favorite brand is Verilux, and what I've found at the local hardware store are in corrugated paper or cardboard. Newer CFLs come in at least warm and cool, and the lighting quality is such that I've mostly forgotten that almost all fixtures have CFLs in our house (excepting situation below), since all are in the classic bulb shape.
I do know that halogens run hot, and that should be a consideration for pot lights, lights near anything flamable, or anywhere someone could accidentally touch. As far as LEDs, aside from being incredibly expensive, the few we put in have an icky dingy glow. I'm sure that'll improve, though. There may be also be issues with CFLs/LEDs if you use dimmer switches. Oh, and if you have really old wiring, there can be flickery weirdness with CFLs.
A good hardware or lighting store will have many different bulbs on display, so that you can compare. They also will usually allow you to return the bulbs if you don't like them once you get home.

Ironically, we're stockpiling [!] incandescent bulbs for our adult, live-at-home, "kid" who has huge visual issues. Even the imperceptible flicker of new CFLs can be headache producing when reading.

Re: Light bulbs

Thanks for this info, Jay:) I will keep a look out for the Verilux light bulbs. I hope ACE Hardware carries them. I, too, have light sensitivity issues, and I'm hoping the halogen light bulbs will be an acceptable substitute for task lighting (otherwise, I will be stockpiling incandescent bulbs, too!).

Re: Light bulbs

Hope they do! Our Ace Hardware used to be an independent and they've stocked the same items for years, including Verilux bulbs. I didn't see the CFLs today -of course- while there, but a close runner up, GE's Reveal CFLs, were plentiful.

Everyone's different, though, so being able to return might be important.