Lifetime Warranties?

Greg Kamphuis Greg Kamphuis

Lifetime Warranties?

Would products with lifetime warranties be considered good for a zero waste lifestyle? I think they are great because they cut back on products that are engineered to become garbage just so we have to buy more.

Re: Lifetime Warranties?

Yes!  I don't see many products with lifetime warranties any more. Do you know of any?

Re: Lifetime Warranties?

I'm not a fan of buying new and the website BuyMeOnce so far only focuses on small consumer goods, but it's an interesting concept -highlighting qualities such as lifetime warranties. Folks who do this kind of research deserve our support [if purchasing a product].

Yeah there are actually tons. I have a website all about shopping sustainably and I have found about a hundred businesses that offer lifetime warranties. There are tons that are for fully disposable items, llike zippo lighters or cross pens, which are both reasonably priced. There are also Koss Headphones, darn tough socks, and shed rain umbrellas, for things that are really fairly priced and break often. There iis tons actually like I said. I am not sure if I am allowed to put my website here, but it is call Buy Better Mall, you can also find fairtrade stores, and second hand stores you have to use the filters. The other cool thing about lifetime warranty companies is that a lot of them are American Made!
Greg Kamphuis Greg Kamphuis

Re: Lifetime Warranties?

WOW, I can't believe how awesome that buy me once website is! That is definiteyl worth knowing about! I totally agree that minimalism and going used is the way to go, but everyone has a different style and if you must have something nice you might as well only buy one. I think you then take care of it better as well, maybe even better than if you found it used, although I have been heard to say "I bought this shirt for $3 and have been wearing it for 7 years!" If you are looking for other sustainable shopping options there is the Buy Better Mall which also lists companies with lifetime warranties, although a lot of the same ones are in Buy Me Once.

Re: Lifetime Warranties?

I'm turned off by the sinophobia that seems to be spewed out of these "buy it once" groups.

I would question whether a lot of products pushed by this crowd are available to the poor and oppressed, those in low income groups, etc.  If not, there's nothing revolutionary about what you're doing, you're just making yourselves feel better or smug about buying this shit.