Kitchen and supplies listed in the store on the site

Tara Tara

Kitchen and supplies listed in the store on the site

I really like the concept of this site, trying not to waste, living green . etc. But I am finding the site pretty pretentious. I am somewhat flabbergasted by the prices on the site for basic kitchen tools. Things like a whisk listed for $23.00. And a 5 gallon glass jar (for penny candy, how ironic) listed for $69.00! High quality i am sure, but please..  I think that while the writer and the site are doing a great job trying to encourage people to think green, it is a bit fetish-y and sort of a showcase for the author own personal design tastes- i.e. extreme minimalism.
At Home At Home

Re: Kitchen and supplies listed in the store on the site

Hi Tara,

Bea searches amazon to find pieces that are similar to what she has, and make it available to others online. I believe she mentioned that she was doing it because so many people were requesting this information. Bea buys all of her material from thrift stores, or uses some pieces that she bought before they went zero waste. She lives her life the way she wants, and is willing to share it with us. She advocates finding what works for you- both in design and function.

Good luck with your zero waste adventures!

Re: Kitchen and supplies listed in the store on the site

Hi Tara!

I agree that the high pricetags are off-putting, and that a zerowaste lifestyle doesn't have to include an all white minimalist aesthetic.

Have you seen Myplasticfreelife?  The lady on that site has almost all of the same Eco-friendly habits, but her home appears more typical looking from what I can tell.

It would be nice to see how others live out the zero waste lifestyle.  My house, for example,  has a lot of hand-me- down and vintage furnishings.  There is a lot more clutter than Bea's house , but a lot less than the average American home, I'd say.  We don't use the fancy jars (we store things in the Pyrex dishes with plastic lids that we had before I found this site).

I hope that you give the blog and the forum another chance, remembering that this is just one lady's zero waste home, and you have the power to take or leave each idea as it suits you!