Kilner Jars Rusting

Abbey Abbey

Kilner Jars Rusting

Hi all,

I was so happy that I finally found some (what I thought were) high quality French canning jars, until I ran them through the dishwasher (the manufacturer says they are dishwasher safe). The metal rings that hold the lid in place are rusting! This was something I was hoping to avoid when I transitioned from mason jars. Does anybody know which brands of French canning jars don't rust? Or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks for your input!

Re: Kilner Jars Rusting

I know that the Johnsons run their Le Parfait jars, sometimes with the gasket, through their dishwasher (heard this at a talk). I have not had good luck, though, -not so much with rusting, but with some sort of crystallization on the metal which, I think, is a chemical reaction between the aluminum and dishwasher detergent. We just hand wash. Your rusting is probably an issue with what the metal latch is made of, and no idea of a fix other than insuring they're dried thoroughly (after hand washing??).
In retrospect I'm not so sure I should have spent the extra money on latch tops, as mason jar lids seem to last pretty much forever and all parts can obviously go in the dishwasher.
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Kilner Jars Rusting

Why not machine wash the glass and just hand wash the metal?

Also Bea may make her own dishwasher soap out of unicorn tears & fairies eyelashes so your store bought stuff will never be as badass. ;)

<totally being silly here as I am a huge Bea fan>

Sent from my iPhone 4 which still works great!

On Mar 30, 2015, at 3:37 PM, Jay [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know that the Johnsons run their Le Parfait jars, sometimes with the gasket, through their dishwasher (heard this at a talk). I have not had good luck, though, -not so much with rusting, but with some sort of crystallization on the metal which, I think, is a chemical reaction between the aluminum and dishwasher detergent. We just hand wash. Your rusting is probably an issue with what the metal latch is made of, and no idea of a fix other than insuring they're dried thoroughly (after hand washing??).
In retrospect I'm not so sure I should have spent the extra money on latch tops, as mason jar lids seem to last pretty much forever and all parts can obviously go in the dishwasher.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Kilner-Jars-Rusting-tp4026229p4026234.html
To start a new topic under Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML