Jars and mason

123

Re: Jars and mason

This post was updated on .
A stainless steel funnel+mesh= kool! Lots, and lots of uses I bet.

Re "not dishwasher safe": I don't know their perspective, but in the past whenever we have put the Le Parfaits in the dishwasher, the metal latch mechanism has had a chemical reaction with the detergent leaving a white powder on the metal, and looked oxidized. Maybe they (old ones at least) are aluminum, not SS. The Lorina bottles wash fine in the DW.

Square= more efficient storage.
_______

ETA: I have been having mixed results with the Lorina bottles in DW so I'm hand washing now.
Cameron Cameron

Re: Jars and mason

I bought the Bormioli Rocco sealed jars at the Container Store and the glass storage containers at Crate and Barrel.  I bought the swing top jars for liquids at Sur La Table, which is in Carlsbad (for Karin).  Sur La Table also has the sealed jars, but they cost a little bit more there.  World Market used to sell Bormioli Rocco jars, but replaced with, what I believe is a cheaper version, and they can't go in the freezer.  The square are efficient for storage and I find that they don't slip out of my hands too.

Jay, I use the swing top jars for bulk liquids such as olive oil, agave nectar, soy sauce, maple syrup, and homemade salad dressing.  They aren't the best for pouring, but they keep things nice and fresh.  When I buy the olive oil, I dispense it into the 17 oz. bottle and when I get home I transfer it into a glass olive oil decanter that has a pour spout.  The only other item that is used daily is the agave nectar for my husband's coffee and he just wipes the lip of the bottle off when he's done pouring it into his coffee.  You can purchase pour spouts in packets of 4 at Bed Bath and Beyond, which are packaged in a plastic bag.  I use a water bottle brush to clean the swing top jars and it's easy.

Re: Jars and mason

Thanks for the specific stores! I really just need the large jars for flour and such right now. I need to take a step back and contemplate the new info I've learned recently and strategize an adaptation to our current plan before buying too much. So far, the Weck jars are the most appealing. I'm not crazy about the latch system, but I am also not crazy about the metal lids on most of the jarred items we purchase. Decisions, decisions...

Re: Jars and mason

Was at Sur La Table today, where they indeed had the swing top bottles Cameron spoke of. The mouth of the bottles are -at least- quarter inch wider than the Lorina bottles. I think that would make it significantly easier to fill and pour. The lip is a bit thiner, glass a bit lighter (I think), and simpler looking, too. It was nice to see the different sizes. They also had a pretty hulking bottle, obviously for milk, with a much wider swing top. Wide enough to allow decent cleaning I should think. Not as wide as your classic milk bottle, and it's fairly tall. I like what I have, but might consider if looking for something.

Re: Jars and mason

Thanks for the update, Jay! :) I have never heard of Sur La Table before this thread. How interesting...

Re: Jars and mason

Re "not dishwasher safe" on certain jars: I agree it's because the metal latch mechanism "reacts" with the dishwasher detergent, leaving a patina on the metal and making the jars difficult to close. This happened to me when I washed one of my Fido jars in the dishwasher (I soon switched to Le Parfait jars after that).

I did find a way around this problem. Before washing, apply a thin layer of olive oil (or whatever type of cooking oil you have lying around) onto the metal parts of the jar. The oil protects the metal, and since it's food-grade oil, you won't worry about it mixing in the wash with the rest of your dinnerware/cookware.

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Just an update: I've been using both the Weck and LeParfait in the freezer. Though I REALLY like the aesthetics of Wecks, generally I'm finding the latch top jars to be working out better. What has happened more than once is that the metal clamps on the Weck has gone flying when bumped while pulling something else out. Also, if have multiple items in a jar, much easier to just flip lid on the LeParfait than taking off the Weck lid and gasket, then repositioning. I also find easier to open the latch tops than screw top jars if still frozen. Still haven't tried SS as I'm cheap :-))
BTW, any latch tops (even the bottles) have replaceable rubber gaskets. If not found elsewhere, can get from Amazon. Weck, I don't know. Another argument in favor of latch tops as you should always use new gaskets when canning.
I might still go with Wecks when freezing single use (broth, etc), as you could create a vacuum seal by putting food in hot>cool in fridge, thus no clamps when freezing, AND can microwave to defrost quickly.

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Just wanted to add that you can buy replacement rubber gaskets and clamps for the Weck jars through the Weck website (www.weckjars.com).

Interesting to hear how the Weck jars are working out. I like the aesthetics of the Weck containers, but I hear what you're saying about the lid and clamps. Lids tend to disappear in my kitchen, so up until this point, I've been using containers with attached lids.

Re: Jars and mason: Weck, etc

Thanks, Sandra, for pointing out Weck website as gasket source. Clearly dull thinking on my part. Good thing they have extra clamps, too :-)
Another experiment, as it's uncharacteristically raining and don't feel like sloshing around--
Froze broth this weekend using some Kerr pint jars/lids already had (only have the one Weck), using my passive vacuum seal technique. Started thinking how nice it'd be to have pourable broth, e.g. bottle -a la our discussion about Lorina bottles. Had clean Strauss milk bottles and caps hanging around, so: hot water+bottle+plastic cap/rubber cork > chilled = both worked! The lid was slightly depressed and gave typical woosh when opened, cork not so obvious, but seemed to me had vacuum. Of course, water tight as well.
These are classic, thick glass milk bottles, so I think fine in freezer. Plastic could be issue for some, so I also imagine an alternative could be to have enough fat in broth to cover exposed surface once in the bottle. I'm also thinking beeswax, but not sure how would get out??
Melissa Melissa

Re: Jars and mason: Weck, etc

Crate and Barrel has weck jars now. Happy Shopping!

Re: Jars and mason: Weck, etc

Happy shopping, indeed. Thanks for the tip, Melissa!

Re: Jars and mason: Weck, etc

Thanks Melissa!
Marilyn Marilyn

Re: Jars and mason

Thanks for mentioning the ikea jars!  I will have to get some!

Re: Jars and mason

WF now carries these: http://www.lovebottle.net/index.asp They're really expensive! On the plus side, the mouths are wider than the Lorina bottles, and they have replacement lids, etc. at the website.

Re: Jars and mason

For those who need/use canning jars this is the time of year to buy! Look for Labor Day, End of Season sales, etc.

Re: Jars and mason

Sur La Table now carries both the terrine (wide mouth w/flat top) and 'Super' (narrower mouth w/rounded lip) styles of the Le Parfait jars. They sell the replacement gaskets, too.
Katie Katie

Re: Jars and mason

I've picked up multiple Fido and Arc (I know that I'm spelling those wrong...) at my local thrift stores. I can usually find one or more everything I go to Goodwill or another resale shop.

Don't feel pressured to get Bea's chic look and order the same jars. I was so tempted because it looks fabulous but I realized that it goes against why I'm actually working on zero waste. And my hodge podge of jars looks very vintage chic :) and I've never paid more than $1 a jar!
123