Jars and mason

123

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

I've been looking up BevMo locations. ;) We have several, just not in areas I typically go. (I've never been inside one.) I looked up other suppliers and found World Market listed. I regularly go to a shopping area with one of those, so I checked the website. It doesn't show the product, but I can check the next time I am over there.

First, though, I have to find a use for these type of bottles. LOL

What do you re-use your Lorina bottles for???

Re: Jars and mason

Ours are the 750 ml bottles, which probably means 1L if filled to the top. In looking at the bottles just now, I realized wouldn't use for shampoo as they're tall and I'm a klutz. Not sure the shampoo would end up on my head!
So, so far just clear juices, and vinegar. Tamari/soy sauce once i finish off our hoard from my couponing days.
2 annoyances: the lip of the bottle is really thick, so it tends to drip, and the cap can flop over as you pour. I'm pretty sure I'd not use it for oil and will stick with a wine bottle + ss pour spout. i also wouldn't put sticky, gloopy (e.g., buttermilk type) stuff in them unless I had some brilliant plan for cleaning, which I don't. They have too narrow a neck. Old milk/cream bottles are easier.

I'm seriously trying to resist making up uses just so we can get the lemonade, -plus the bottles are just plain cool.
ALSO
If someone you know likes beer, Grolsch bottles have a latch top, and would be good for something that needed to be protected from the light. Don't off hand know the volume of those.
Noticed that a local market is carrying [expensive] glass jugs of apple cider. If you "need"/want gallon glass jugs, there's another excuse. I do know though, that here, in a couple of months we'll be able to get cider much cheaper. I can wait.

Our WF has Lorina, too. It's just a bit more expensive.

Re: Jars and mason

Reading your reply just gave me an idea. :)

I make bone broth and freeze some of it muffin pans (silicone) for use when making rice or anything that only needs 1/2 cup (strong, so total liquid equals 1 cup). I freeze the rest in glass jars (leaving room for expansion) and use it as a soup base. These are the exact jars we are always running out of and they take up precious room in the side-by-side freezer. The bottles we've been talking about are much taller and skinnier and would take up less room in the freezer. I use a funnel to fill them anyway, so the narrow neck isn't an issue. I thaw and use the entire bottle at once, also, so dripping won't be an issue either. I tested both new purchases in the dishwasher last night since there was just enough room and they fit and survived the bottom rack. Sounds like a winner!

I will test this one in the freezer with something liquid before investing in any others (Lorina or SLOM).

Thanks for helping me think this through! :)

Re: Jars and mason

Be really careful in the freezer! there's lots written on the internet about glass jars breaking in the freezer, especially jars with a shoulder. When you experiment, I would stick the bottle inside something else to contain everything in a worse case scenario. Also maybe leave cap open to allow for expansion. Would be really brilliant if successful. Definitely let us know!

Re: Jars and mason

I freeze in glass jars frequently, so I am not too concerned. However, I do avoid the lid (until contents are frozen) with unusual shape bottles until I get a feel for how the liquid expands in them.

My DH isn't crazy about my idea, though. He feels these particular bottles are too tall for the freezer and will limit our use of the freezer. He thinks they will only fit on one shelf. We were playing games with DD at the time, so we didn't test it out. I'll test my idea (door, which doesn't work for much else) over the weekend sometime and go from there.

I may need more ideas for this bottle.........

I don't currently use plastic bottles for anything purchased in bulk, so I am drawing a blank. DH uses a plastic water bottle ONLY when he rides his bike because our SS bottles don't fit his holder.

I don't live super close to Dr. Bronner's (30-45 min one-way), but was planning to call and find out if they still offer bulk liquid soap purchases at their offices. If so, then I have a day trip mapped out to cover a handful of stores I've been interested in checking out up in that general area. I had wanted a 2L bottle, but 1L will just have to do. I can bring some glass tea bottles I have (10-14 oz each), also, for now in order to buy enough that I don't have to return for a good long while. I can try out several different scents this way! :) Final use will have to be negotiated, though. This type of lid feels unsafe with wet and/or soapy hands.

I have no idea where to buy olive oil in bulk ATM and we still have a large bottle of it. I'd have the same concerns of slippery hands with this type of bottle, though.

We don't drink wine generally. I have no idea where to buy juice in bulk and probably wouldn't do so, anyway. We don't drink it that often. I'd love to make a big jar of sun tea and pour it into other bottles. I don't have anything to make the sun tea in, though, and this bottle is an entire liter. That'd be overkill for taking on the go and I can just pour it out of the sun tea jar, if I got one, if I were at home. Hmmm.....

Re: Jars and mason

yeah, we may be dealing with square peg, round hole <sigh>
Aside from the things i mentioned, I'm drawing a blank. The juice is from our own juicer but sounds not important for you. Any of the others could be dealt with in a different manner, so may be hard to justify special purchase.
Definitely don't like idea of using for oil, as the lip will rapidly become a gunky mess, as well as slippery. Same with syrups, honey unless wipe off each time. Soap might be fun, but if drippy will need to wipe, too. With all the dripless tops around I had earlier kind of forgotten that problem with older bottles.
I figured from what you had said before you had significant experience with unusually shaped jars in the freezer --just had to give the warning :-). If the space works (I think could be great way to use the door), could be used for lots of frozen liquids, though *what* doesn't come to mind at the moment.. If jars fit, though, they might be more functional, ultimately.
DH has broken two glass tea "travel mugs" in 6 months, so am very wary of glass+movement!
Will probably be walking around tomorrow visualizing uses for the bottles, oh well. Maybe I'll find a Genie.
Let us know what thoughts you have for the jars, too.

Re: Jars and mason

Just to make choices more annoying, recommend folks check out Le Parfait's Terrine/Super;/Wide-mouth jars. These have about a half inch wider mouth, and are straight sided. They feel a little heavier, but that could be my imagination.
Pros: hold a bit more, more efficient, probably slightly safer for freezing.
Cons: not as esthetically pleasing, maybe heavier.

Re: Jars and mason

Reporting back that my DH was indeed correct. The bottles are too tall for the freezer door and they don't really work well at all in our freezer (nor the fridge really).

They fit in the pantry beautifully, so I am determined to find a use for at least this one I own!!! LOL

Meanwhile, we filled the large jar with flour today. :)

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Jay, how scary is it that we are scavenging the same lemonade bottles? I dug one out of the trash after a party at work.... It now holds mouthwash.

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Great minds..... you scored, BTW.

Re: Jars and mason

Well Karin, phooey. Plan B, or C.?? But hey, Wrennerd found a good use!

How will you get the flour out of the jar? I use so much for baking that I use a cup measure to scoop and haven't figured out how to do that with a jar. As i said, am bit of a klutz.

Re: Jars and mason

How about adding a pour spout to the lemonade bottle to help prevent liquids from sloshing out?

I've been filling the Lorina's bottle with rhubarb syrup from this recipe to share with friends at potlucks/dinner parties. Add water/seltzer/alcohol for a refreshing (and yummy) drink.

Re: Jars and mason

Jay - The jar I purchased from Ikea has a wide mouth opening. Our SS measuring cups fit in easily. DH filled it with our SS canning funnel, to give you an idea of how wide it is. We got the flour in a paper 5lb bag. We were scouting bulk purchases yesterday and didn't find flour. Also, DH likes to keep a smaller jar of flour near the front of the pantry for small uses. He cooks more than I do, but I bake more than he does (but not often). I don't mind digging out the big jar from the back of the pantry. He uses a tablespoon here and there from the small jar and can pour the flour out into a measuring cup, if need be.

Wrennard - I was reading about more natural (and less wasteful) methods of dental care and homemade mouth wash came up a few times. That has potential! :) Not slippery or soapy and DH & I would share in our bathroom - requiring a larger quantity and we can both operate this one. DD could have her own, if she wants, in a more suitable container in her bathroom.

Meanwhile, I just wanted to share that we found all sorts of raw nuts and seeds and dried fruit in bulk yesterday and each of us used a jar to create our own trial mix (once we got home). We used the plastic bags offered at the store this time, but will reuse them several times, and will be more prepared next time. :)
Cameron Cameron

Re: Jars and mason

Karin,
If you or anyone else reading are in the San Diego area, like me, then you have to go to the People's Co-op located in Ocean Beach, http://www.obpeoplesfood.coop/.  They encourage their customers to use their own containers and they have a huge organic bulk section (including flours, coffee, tea, herbs, nuts, pasta, rice, snacks, candy, etc.).  They also have organic bulk olive oil, honey, maple syrup, tamari, peanut butter, agave nectar, and almond butter.  I live an hour and half from the store, but I combine errands and make a trip out there every 3 months or so.  It is by far the best bulk store in San Diego County and their products reflect their business practices (organic, cruelty free, glass over plastic, fair trade, etc.).  You don't have to be a member, but it is only $15 a year.  Non-owners pay a 10% surcharge  on their purchases.  For my weekly shopping I go to Jimbo's Naturally, http://www.jimbos.com/, which has a good organic bulk section that includes peanut butter and almond butter, but none of oils or other liquids mentioned above.  Regarding your husband using a plastic bottle for biking, Klean Kanteen makes a bike cage for their bottles, but it only fits the 27 ounce, http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/accessories/klean-kanteen-cages.php.  Yes, Dr. Bronner's still allows refills at their Escondido office, but last time I went, it took 15 minutes because they do it for you.  Hope this helps.

Re: Jars and mason

Sandra good idea re the spout; also had thought of syrups for drinks, but hadn't known of any homemade before this. I have a seltzer bottle to help with the fizz addiction (haven't tried water kefir yet) and have used w/ Torani syrups, so GTK about HM syrup.

Re: Jars and mason

Sounds good! Ready to get more jars Karin??? :-)))

Re: Jars and mason

Thanks Cameron! Does Dr Bronners offer all the scents at their offices for bulk filling? We were at the La Jolla Whole Foods yesterday and smelled all the scents. Between the three of us, we liked them all!!! LOL

We have been to the OB co-op several times. It never makes it into the rounds of stores we frequent, though. I'll have to rethink it from a zero-waste perspective. They'd be good for all the bulk liquids and things Henry's doesn't offer. We don't frequent Whole Foods often and I am kinda glad they didn't have much to offer. However, they did have one thing we have been looking for and I have been asking for all over town! We feed our cat a raw food diet and we're always on the hunt for more unusual raw meats for her to round out her nutrition. We mostly eat chicken (only one with bones) and beef and fish. WF had quite an array of meats with bones small enough for her. We got her lamb bits and beef bits (real raw meat with bones -- frozen, but not processed in any way) and turkey necks. The OB co-op doesn't carry meat, IIRC.

I've only been to Jimbo's once, but it is included in my aforementioned day trip! LOL  They are all in North County and we live in "North City" or central San Diego (North of I-8 and South of CA-52), depending on your perspective. ;) We get our produce mostly from our CSA (Be Wise Ranch), but we also like the farmer's markets. We shop at Trader Joe's and Henry's for food, mostly. Did you hear that Sprouts and Henry's are merging via a private holding company? They will all become Sprouts by mid-2012 along with other changes. I find it interesting since Henry's and Sprout were both started by the same family (different people) at different points in time. Why do they need a private holding company to reunite them? ;)

Back on topic, jars... I love one-part screw-top lids. They are my favorite. The metal ones, though, rust over time. That is the sole reason we need new jars every once in awhile. I don't mind plastic lids on glass jars and they last a lot longer (food doesn't touch the lid and my original perspective was health). I generally wash the lids by hand, but the jars go in the dishwasher. The more I read about plastic, though, the less I want to purchase any of it for any reason. I won't just pitch my existing stuff, though. We also own and use the Glasslock food storage containers. The tops are plastic and the containers are glass. Food doesn't touch the lid. Both parts of these go in the dishwasher because they are sturdy enough and flexible enough to handle it. Now, I'm wondering if the super hot water could be leaching toxins from the plastic, though... We don't use the heat setting. Anyway, I like the sealed jars, not crazy about latches. I'd love to find just one Weck jar locally to test out.

Cameron Cameron

Re: Jars and mason

Karin. Yes, Dr. Bronner's offers all the scents at their Escondido location.  Try to go on a Tuesday so you can check out the Escondido Farmer's market, which is where I get a lot of my produce.  Yes, I forgot to mention that OB Peoples Co-op is vegetarian, which does work for me.  My dog isn't a vegetarian so thanks for the tip on our Whole Foods.  I haven't been going to either of the Whole Foods in San Diego County, because their bulk department is lacking and their bulk peanut and almond butters are not organic.  The WF in southern Cal are not up to the same standards as northern Cal.  I heard that a new WF is opening up in Encinitas, so I will check it out.  Jimbo's is my primary source, because of proximity, bulk selection, and they carry Be Wise Ranch produce too.  I live in northeast county.  I am not impressed with Henry's bulk selection.  Too much junk food and very few organics.  I did read about the Sprouts and Henry's merge, and I hope it will improve their bulk section.  I have been to the Sprouts in Temecula (which will not be part of the merger, independently owned I believe), and they have a great bulk bin selection, including brown sugar, fig bars, and a great selection of flours, like almond flour.

Back on the topic of  jars.  Sorry, I interrupted the conversation, but I was excited to see someone else from the San Diego area.  I use almost all Bormioli Rocco jars and containers.  They make them in sizes from 7.75 ounces to 5 liters.  They make square and round glass food storage with BPA free plastic lids.  They also make square, glass bottles with swing top lids which I use for all my bulk liquids.  They come in 8, 17, and 32 ounce containers.  These look like the Lorina Lemonade jars, but are square with no writing and are reasonably priced.  All the Bormioli Rocco glassware work in the freezer too.  For my flours and sugars, I use Anchor Hocking glass cracker jars with aluminum lids (I believe their is a plastic coated paper inside the lid).  I use these because I can fit a 1 cup measuring cup inside and still be able to level it.  I would like to try Weck jars for food storage, because I would like to avoid buying anymore plastic, but I have not found a local source.  I will probably try Etsy.

Re: Jars and mason

Great info Cameron!
Square jars/bottles make a lot of sense. Also, having the choice of colored glass bottles is an excellent option.
Out of curiosity, what bulk liquids are you using them for?

Re: Jars and mason

It IS exciting to see another San Diegan! :) Thanks for all the great tips, Cameron.

My DH works in Encinitas and has watched the WF go up. He says the last time he walked by it had the basics inside ready and they were working on the shelving, etc.

The Henry's in Santee is the best one, IMO, and they carry a lot of bulk food. I ignore the junk food they package in the little square boxes because those drive me crazy. LOL

Where do/did you buy your Bormioli Rocco jars and containers? I'd love to find one locally to try out. I'm not picky about all matching food storage. I use whatever comes my way! :)

Maybe I am missing something, but why are square jars and bottles a good idea??? I find them a pain to clean... Please enlighten me. :)

We checked out World Market the same day we were at Whole Foods (parked near Islands and walked everywhere). They have quite a few glass jars, but the latched ones have big stickers on them saying, "Not dishwasher safe" or "Hand Wash Only". I wonder why? Meanwhile, I found what I have been looking for awhile now: a stainless steel narrow-neck funnel with a SS mesh screen! This one was fancier than I needed, but they had clearanced them out and the salesgirl went to a lot of trouble to locate one for me. We haven't figured out what we'll do with the stand and little metal thing, but it is a nice funnel (all pieces are SS) at a reasonable price. The original purpose is wine-making, but I want it for filtering my bone broth a little more simply. No more balancing 3+ items while pouring hot broth from a large stock pot or crockpot! ;) Plus, I will use it for all my homemade beauty concoctions and, of course, ordinary funnel purposes.
123