Jars and mason

123
Kim Kim

Jars and mason

Hello Bea,

Love your video. You have me so inspired. Wanted to know where you bought the the clear kitchen jars for the food?

On a side note, what do you use as a face moisture? Do you make that as well?

Mau Mau

Re: Jars and mason

I think she finds her jars at thrift stores. They are Le Parfait brand. You can probably find them in specialty kitchen shops, or also online at Amazon.com (check out her 'STORE' link on the top of the blog).

I just ordered a 6-pack of Le Parfait jars at Overstock.com a couple days ago. It was cheaper than ordering them from Amazon.com singly. I haven't received them yet, so I don't know if the quality is the same.
Stephanie Stephanie

Re: Jars and mason

I bought a bunch of Le Parfait jars from overstock as well, and I LOVE them.  They are my favorite jars!
Caroline Caroline

Re: Jars and mason

You can also go to the store portion of her site and she has a link to buy some there!!! :)
Cameron Cameron

Re: Jars and mason

There are other options for hermetically sealed jars, like the Le Parfait ones.  Bormioli Rocco Fido are hermetically sealed jars that are made in Italy, are square, have no writing on them, are cheaper but just as good quality, and come in more sizes (4 and 5 liter).  You can find them at The Container Store and Sur La Table.  I have used them for years and have never had a problem with them.  I do use two Le Parfait jars for peanut butter and almond butter, because they have straight sides, and it is easier to get sticky stuff out and to clean a straight-sided jar.
Mark in Cincinnati Mark in Cincinnati

Re: Jars and mason

I have a mix of the Italian Fido and the several different French jars: La Parfait, Triumph, and Arco.  I'm not sure I've spelled those all correctly.  I've been collecting them for years.  Thay all seem to be of similar quality and all take the same size rubber rings, which if buying used usually need to be replaced.  The Container Store sells new rubber rings at a reasonable price.

Re: Jars and mason

Kim -- I just returned from IKEA, where they are now selling glass flip-top jars with a rubber gasket -- they are about half or a third the price of Le Parfait jars.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40065867

Or search the website for the product name, "Slom."

Re: Jars and mason

Just wanted to throw in another glass jar option: Weck canning jars. They have glass lids and a rubber gasket seal, similar to the Le Parfait. One difference is that the lids are not attached to the jar with metal wire (they use removable stainless steel clips). This makes the container microwave-safe (no metal) in case you want to heat food directly in the container. The glass is tempered, so you can safely heat the jar in boiling water or put it in the freezer.

Re: Jars and mason

Ahh! Why didn't I think of that! I use and love LeParfait and masons, but have fretted over the large latches catching on things particularly in a freezer. Weck jars would minimize that, plus they have more *unusual* shapes, AND microwavable! Brilliant.

Re: Jars and mason

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Just purchased a single Weck jar locally so I could experiment with it. My goal is to use glass in the freezer with the sleekest profile (e.g., no clamps), while keeping an airtight seal. First experiment: Filled the jar with nearly boiling water, fastened lid with the clamps, then cooled>set in fridge, until cold. VOILA! the lid sealed, water tight! SOooo simple. To open, well OK I'm an idiot and was contemplating can opener, knife, etc. But  -of course- you just pull on the gasket's tab. Seal broken. Now, I wouldn't use this method for canning (though that's what our GreatGrandMa's did), but for the freezer, perfect! Yay! They are expensive though, around $6 each. I'd also limit myself to either the straight sided ones, or wide-mouthed, plus follow all the rules about leaving a gap at the top, etc.
I'm going to do another round, put it in the freezer (inside something else) and make sure freezer expansion won't crack the glass. That could be a problem. Anyhow...
______

Thurs, May 12: No explosions, seal intact, frozen solid!
Dawnie Dawnie

Re: Jars and mason

Great find on the jars from IKEA... I looked at them does anyone know if they are suitable for canning though? I can't see anything on the website and can't tell how thick the glass is wasn't sure it would stand up to the heat

Thanks

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Wonderful to hear that the Weck jars are working out for you! The last time I was in the Bay Area, I saw Weck containers competitively priced over at Heath Ceramics (the SF Ferry Building location).

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Yeah. I'll call and price them out I found this one at a "hole in the wall" but can get them cheaper online than for what I paid.

Re: Jars and mason

Not sure -- good question, though. I was thinking of them more for storage of dry goods...

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

I'm nowhere near SF, but I discovered them on the Heath website too when I was surfing for a view of what Weck jars look like -- it gives a great overview of the different sizes and shapes -- some beautiful options and very decent prices!

http://www.heathceramics.com/go/heath/homeware/store/index.cfm?catID=52
Karin Karin

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Thanks for the glass jar suggestions!

We've been reusing glass jars from food we buy, but are constantly running out of the larger jars -- and the lids begin to rust after awhile. (We've had them for years.)

I live close to Ikea and had time between activities yesterday to wander around for an hour. I purchased the largest SLOM jar and the only glass bottle they had. The bottle is a little smaller than I wanted and has a plastic of some kind lid/cork, but also has the metal latch. These are our first all-in-one glass jars and they both fit in our pantry, but not in our storage cabinet.

Would someone please walk me through the logistics of using these LARGE types of jars with bulk purchases? Not necessarily at the store, but the home part. I know to go to customer service first and get it weighed. What do you use these types of bottles/jars for and how do you manage it with the least amount of waste possible?

The jar holds 2L and the bottle holds 1L. We're really racking our brains on what to use the bottle for, especially because our daughter (age 10) cannot yet open nor close it. I was originally thinking of using it for bulk shampoo or liquid soap, if I could find it, but 1 liter seems small...?

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

This post was updated on .
Well, the SLOM you linked to looks like a good size for pasta?? Pourables work really well in glass jars: beans, pasta, cereal, etc.
Don't know how others handle finer, powdery stuff like flour, sugar.
Bottles: shampoo, oils, vinegar, honey, homemade buttermilk, milk, juice .... 1L fair size depending on usage. Bigger might be heavy for liquids.

BTW, Lorina lemonade is available at BevMo. It comes in the bottle with a latch top that Bea has used for her wine; very tasty!

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Thanks for the tips, Jay. I've never had Lorina Lemonade, but I like lemonade. MMMmmmm...

I looked it up online and the bottle looks nearly identical to the one I have from Ikea. Same price, too.
Ikea = empty + no labels to peel off
BevMo = full of potentially yummy treat + labels to remove

Guess it depends on if I like the lemonade, eh? LOL

Re: Jars and mason: Weck

Label was super easy to remove! Maybe the company factored in reuse ;-)) Very Yummy.
123