In place of cotton balls...

Hi! I used my last cotton ball over the weekend. I don't really want to replace them. Can you give me replacement ideas, please????

I'm trying to recall what I use them for at the moment....

1. Removing nail polish
2. Applying homemade face toner (only once in awhile, I typically spritz my face with rosewater or hydrosols instead)
3. Applying homemade "washes" to scrapes and bruises (after washing with soap and water)
and I'm not sure what else...

I use a fresh washcloth to wash my face in the shower and let it air-dry over the shower rod, then collect them elsewhere until I am ready to wash towels. Today, I used that damp washcloth I had just used in the shower on my face only to apply my homemade toner...extra exfoliation and the toner was diluted quite a bit. Not ideal, but it worked.

One bag of cotton balls lasts me a year or more, but I am trying to reduce the amount of STUFF.
Louise Louise

Re: In place of cotton balls...

Hi Karin,

I have crocheted myself a set of these cleansing pads, in cotton, to use instead http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-pattern-facial-cleaning-pads. I start with a magic circle insted so there's no hole in the centre. If you do a search there's quite a few patterns.

HTH, Louise

Re: In place of cotton balls...

-There are these reusable organic cotton rounds, reviewed @ My Plastic Free Life:
http://www.betterforgrownups.com/Organic_Cotton_Face_Rounds_p/bfgfr00.htm

-On Etsy, search "cotton facial rounds",
-Artfire has craftspersons making/selling "facial pads": http://www.artfire.com/handmade-/1/1/1/face%20pads/24/0?sterm=facial+pads
At both you'll find crochetted/knitted and fabric versions of reusable pads

-for nail polish removal, since I'd think would have to dispose afterwards, all that comes to mind are old t-shirts, etc. torn into little pads

Re: In place of cotton balls...

Also/Or:
baby washcloths for all
-or-
no nail polish (gak)
spray toner only
spray your homemade wound wash...

maybe just do without for a month and see what happens :-))

Let us know what you decide!
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: In place of cotton balls...

I cut up soft old t-shirts.  They don't fray at the edges so they hold up well.  I collect the used ones in a delicates bag, zip it closed, and throw it in the wash when full.  And I am saving a shirt from the landfill!

Re: In place of cotton balls...

Thanks for the ideas! I just got home from a long weekend away and will put some of these tips to use this week. :)

Re: In place of cotton balls...

I grossly underestimated how long that bag of cotton balls lasted us. DH informed me we have had it for several YEARS.

Anyway, I have not had the need to use a cotton ball at all. DD & I were digging out some items from under the cabinet sink and discovered a small sleeve of cotton rounds. So, I guess we'll use these up while I decide if I / we really need to replace them with something reusable at all. (Haven't had a need to use the cotton rounds, either.)

The nail polish is once in a blue moon for me, but my daughter enjoys it a little more often. I'd rather her experiment and learn now at home than go crazy wild as soon as she leaves home (or behind our backs). We currently have a plethora of really old, ratty t-shirt rags, so that can be the back-up for nail polish remover.

Thank you!
Ever Ever

Re: In place of cotton balls...

Great idea thank you! I couldn't find the reusable cotton balls on amazon or in stores and hadn't thought about looking on Etsy. Turns out there is a lot of options there and I am now all set!
NoWasteLauren NoWasteLauren

Re: In place of cotton balls...

I understand that ordering from online creates trash but I LOVE this product. In the interest of long-term health and waste reduction I ordered these organic terry alternative rounds and haven't wanted cotton balls since. If you find something similar at a local health food store or farmers market, it would also work well! I designate one cloth for nail polish removal and use it over and over and over. The rest are for mascara and makeup removal (I use coconut oil for that).

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1000819806

Good luck on your search!
~Lauren~

Re: In place of cotton balls...

Wow, 12 rounds in a mesh bag for $20!

I think we'll use a t-shirt rag for nail polish removal, tgen when we run out of remover, just give up that bit of personal beautification...

We very infrequently use our supply of gauze/cotton balls but will need to address this, as I am not prepared to spend $20.

Re: In place of cotton balls...

Here's an alternative you new moms may already have on hand to repurpose: Nursing pads.Large variety available, and can do homemade version with fleece, flannel, mason jar for pattern and sewing machine.
http://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3371331