In case of losing power

Janette Janette

In case of losing power

Hi,

I've been working on being closer to paperless in the office at work and at home. My supervisor at work makes us print everything out (procedures, instructions, etc.) "in case we have a power outage." I'll do whatever my supervisor makes me do at work, but is this really necessary?

Is it necessary to have a printed back-up copy of papers at home in case of a power outage, or in case your computer dies and you can't access your files?

I've read posts here about which papers you should keep a hard copy of, but I didn't really see where this scenario has been considered. Maybe I'm just being paranoid because my supervisor is.

Thanks!

Re: In case of losing power

Wow. I guess your supervisor thinks the info would be wiped from the computer in a power outage. If you're worried about something like that or more likely a risk your computer will be corrupted, destroyed, or lost, you should do the same for manuals, etc. as you would any files you want to keep: back-up. I like the "cloud" (I use Dropbox, but lots out there) because of access from anywhere, but guess that vs an external hard drive depends on your security concerns.
Janette Janette

Re: In case of losing power

That sounds reasonable to me. I had a feeling she was a little over the top with printing stuff. Thanks!

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Jay [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow. I guess your supervisor thinks the info would be wiped from the computer in a power outage. If you're worried about something like that or more likely a risk your computer will be corrupted, destroyed, or lost, you should do the same for manuals, etc. as you would any files you want to keep: back-up. I like the "cloud" (I use Dropbox, but lots out there) because of access from anywhere, but guess that vs an external hard drive depends on your security concerns.

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/In-case-of-losing-power-tp4025179p4025180.html
To unsubscribe from In case of losing power, click here.
NAML

Re: In case of losing power

For the training manual, one hardcopy of current edition to be shared by group ought to suffice. Generally, the online version won't get corrupted if power outage happens while open, unless you are editing it. So using online pdf rather than a word doc should prevent users from getting online critical tools corrupted. Periodically each employee can just upload to personal flash drive those work critical items, as well.