I have found a compostable toothrush

Chicane Champagne Chicane Champagne

I have found a compostable toothrush

Hi all

I saw in the tips section that the ZW team had not yet found a compostable toothbrush. This has been a pet project of mine for some time. While there are some good alternatives out there none of them manage to get off the plastic/recycle treadmill...but I recently found these

http://environmentaltoothbrush.com.au/

I have yet to receive my order so can't tell you what they are like but its a great start and they do international shipping. I love that you can buy a years worth of brushes at one go and all the packaging is recycled/recyclable...

cheers
CC

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

Hi, CC. I'd love to hear how this toothbrush works out for you once you've had a chance to try it out. It's the brand of toothbrush that Bea and her family currently use and had recommended in their profile in Sunset magazine (I don't think they updated the tips section with this info).

I've been waiting to hear more reviews on the toothbrush before I place an order. I'm still not convinced the bristles are truly compostable since they are made of nylon. One reader says they are made of a compostable form of nylon called nylon-4, but I have not been able to confirm this information through the research literature that was cited. Another reader recently informed me of a standardized test for biodegradability, called the ASTM D 2020-92 certified soil burial test. I am curious to see if this toothbrush has been certified by the ASTM or another international organization.
CMD CMD

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

This was my issue with them as well. I think I'd have to cut the bristles off before I would be comfortable composting them. It doesn't say anything about the soil test on the website. Wonder if I should email them.
Chicane Champagne Chicane Champagne

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

a-ah...I see you guys are already onto it...well, I guess at this point its the best option I've been able to find (and Bea too it seems and if SHE can't find any better than what hope it there for the rest of us! lol)

I won't be taking delivery of them for a few months because they are being sent to my mum in Australia (they are Australian brushes) and I am going there in July so will pick them up then.

Will let you know

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

After looking in local stores for a wooden toothbrush, I finally ordered these and am fairly happy with them. I will say they are slightly rough on the sides of your mouth when you're brushing -- so I soaked mine in olive oil for a few hours to try to make them more waterproof and hopefully smoother.

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

Thanks, CC.

I've been using a bamboo toothbrush by Izola. It has nylon bristles and an unvarnished bamboo handle, but is packaged in a cardboard box with a plastic lid. Not as great packaging as the Australian brushes but I was able to find them easily at a store in my area.

I'd love to eventually try the Australian brush once they are more readily available in the U.S. Right now, I'm just reluctant to order something online and pay an international shipping fee if the biodegradability of the brush is still in question.
ziziedoodle ziziedoodle

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

I recently received my Environmental Toothbrushes, and I love them. The bristles are natural boar bristle, not nylon. This makes it fully compostable. It also comes with absolutely no plastic packaging. The only plastic on the whole package was the packing tape on the outside. The toothbrushes are in a paper sleeve inside a cardboard box. The bristle is harvested from beasts that are already being raised for food, instead of being slaughtered only for the bristle. The Environmental toothbrush is very comfortable to use, and I love how there is no plastic or non-biodegradeable materials. Other wooden toothbrushes I found online were housed in plastic, and had nylon bristles. In my opinion, why make a biodegradeable toothbrush and put it in plastic!

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

Beth over at the blog "My Plastic Free Life," recently reviewed a bunch of different wooden toothbrush options, including the Environmental Toothbrush. See her blog entry here.

FYI: According to her review, the Environmental Toothbrush's bristles are made of biodegradable nylon-4 (she includes a link to the journal review article the company cites for this claim), but the inner sleeve that encases each toothbrush is made from polypropylene plastic.
Marah G Marah G

Re: I have found a compostable toothrush

Please check out https://au.pearlbarshop.com/ because this is a totally 100% compostable toothbrush with 100% conpostable bristles that also happen to be infused with charcoal! Amazing for the environment and amazing for your dental hygiene !