How to opt out of phone books!

Megan Megan

How to opt out of phone books!

It can feel like we have no control over whether we receive these massive tombs of paper waste.
But there is something we can do – we can opt out of phone book delivery and stop the waste at its source.

If you live in the United States, you can opt out at: http://www.bit.ly/YP-opt-out

If you want to help spread the word, the Product Stewardship Institute has a phone books opt-out outreach toolkit including sample language for your website, graphics, video, sample social media posts, and a letter you can send to the publisher if you do end up getting a phone book despite opting out.

The toolkit is at: http://www.productstewardship.us/general/custom.asp?page=Phone_Books_Toolkit

Re: How to opt out of phone books!

I think it's only about once a year or so that a phone book gets left on my porch, like a business yellow pages thing. I just toss it in the recycle bin.
Megan Megan

Re: How to opt out of phone books!

Glad that you can recycle phone books where you live! Unfortunately, recycling doesn't address the wasted resources to print and transport that book to a home that doesn't wanted it.

Not getting a phone book in the first place is the best way to eliminate the waste (and the hassle). :)

Re: How to opt out of phone books!

I can't really control it, those phone books show up on my porch because they're being delivered to the entire neighborhood or likely most  residents in San Francisco. It's just easier to recycle them.  And who should we "call" about stopping the printing of phone books?  The CEO of whatever company is printing the books? Good luck with that, companies are not beholden to you, they're beholden to their shareholders.

I don't have time to spend every waking moment trying to undo the damage of capitalism. I already practice the three actions that have the most impact on the enviro - I drive as little as possible, I don't eat animals, and I don't buy organic or non-GMO produce. I'm also involved in anti-imperialist activism, because U.S. imperialism is the single largest threat to humanity at the moment.  Writing letters to an asshole CEO isn't at the top of my list as the best use of my time to be ZW.