How to even begin...

Lauren Lauren

How to even begin...

I want to have a zero waste home. But, I am overwhelmed as how, when, etc. to start! HELP!
Lauren (and husband + 2 children)
Cedarburg, WI
:)
OneHotMomma OneHotMomma

Re: How to even begin...

One step at a time.  I started with the groceries - Finding a store that sells bulk and making the bags to shop with so I didn't have to use the plastic ones/reusable grocery bags.  Also, started carrying glass jars for our meat and cheese and using cloth napkins instead of paper.  Then, baby steps from there.  Just look for zero waste ways to replace the other things as you run out.
Beryl Beryl

Re: How to even begin...

I have been reading Bea's blog for many months and became intrigued with the idea of a zero waste lifestyle.  Like many others, I am challenged with letting go of the stuff, esp. my children's art and projects.  Many people say our home is neat and organized, yet I feel the "weight" of the stuff that has accumulated in our 2000 sq. ft. house.  I feel like I am constantly purging and organizing, but it's a vicious cycle.

I recently started the  book Voluntary Simplicity and also came across a video clip of the documentary Living Without Money.  It seems that now that I am ready to commit to making changes things are starting to fall into place to help me get started.

My goal is to have a healthier diet, esp since one of my daugters (age 10) is a type 1 diabetic.  I want to adopt a zero waste lifestyle that is good for maintaining our home, but more importantly, good for maintaining our health.

I will start by finishing the book Voluntary Simplicity. Also, I have printed out Bea's tips to reduce waste in our home. My youngest daughter (age 9) is eager to expand our garden this year and to raise chickens for eggs.

I also plan to reduce my spending and use up the things (e.g. toiletries, cleansers, food) we currently have before buying more.

One of the ideas that resonates with me from Voluntary Simplicity is that this lifestyle is not about deprivation, rather this is a way to add more meaning to our lives thru experiences and relationships; also, we all need to take personal responsibility to heal and save our planet for our children.

Re: How to even begin...

Totally agree with Stephanie and Beryl. I would add that you should read through all of Bea's and the guest posts and, perhaps, peruse the forum as well before getting too far along. Bea has very succinctly laid out her process in her posts. It is a process, and as a guest poster noted, starting with one or two actions, and allow them to become habits works well for many. A big point I'd make is don't start out spending money on "tools", see what you can use up, make do, do without first. As you use up what you have, then you can decide whether it needs to be replaced, if so how, or can you eliminate entirely from your life. The exception might be when you start bulk shopping: you will need containerizing, but look around your home and see what can be used.
Let us know how it goes...