How do you pack for ZW travel?

Can we add a folder for travel topics?

I went on a business trip last week, and in the rush I'm afraid my ZW shopping habits went by the wayside.

I am very happy with the one bag packing checklist at onebag.com ( http://www.onebag.com/checklist.html ), but I was wondering what other ZW folks pack for travel, especially for toiletries and snacks. Do you take the ingredients for your ZW toiletries, then mix them up when you arrive? (Box of baking soda, spearmint essential oil, and a bar of soap? What else?) Does this occasion any difficulties at the airport, especially if you take them in your carryon?

What unpackaged snacks do you find travel well?

Appreciate any advice folks have on this, since I will be traveling this summer.... In some cases I would think it would make sense to buy the ingredients upon arrival, but where I will be going, I won't be able to read the labels at the grocery store....

Re: How do you pack for ZW travel?

For snacks, I've been packing almonds and strawberry granola in stainless steel containers. I've found that most nuts and granolas travel well and help keep me energized for the long trip ahead. You can also add milk to the granola for a little impromptu breakfast (I just asked the flight attendant to pour some milk into my container). Chocolate snacks are delicious but I've had more than one occasion where they've melted in my bag. Avoid yogurt, dip, and other semi-solid foods that may be confused for liquids (and be confiscated by the TSA). Remember not to bring fresh fruit if it’s an international flight.

On domestic flights, I've been packing at least one meal in a bento box, in case the food on the plane is ghastly or you’re stuck on a layover and all the airport food stands are closed. The bentos I’ve packed had a mix of rice, breaded chicken, and a simple salad with the dressing in a tiny (less than 4 oz.) container. Since bentos are designed to be eaten cold, I didn't have to worry about figuring out a way to reheat it. On the trip back, I ordered a to-go meal at the place where I had breakfast or lunch, and had them pack it in the bento box. No trouble getting the box through TSA, but I stuck to packing dry foods just in case. Wrap the box in a napkin, bring your own set of wooden utensils, and don’t forget the reusable water bottle for beverages.

Not sure I can help with your toiletries question. I still use toothpaste in a metal tube. Sounds like it would be easier to travel with the ingredients pre-mixed and in a clearly labeled jar, but I understand your concern about getting through security with it. For my last trip, I packed my shampoo, conditioner, and skin moisturizer in little blue-tinted glass bottles (the kind used for aromatherapy), but GoToobs (silicone travel containers) look like a good alternative if you’re worried about traveling with glass. A solid shampoo bar can also double as soap, so this may be an alternative to traveling with liquids. I packed all the bottles in an Eagle Creek brand, small, see-through (but waterproof) mesh pouch. I really like the entire Eagle Creek line of packing cubes for organizing the suitcase. It’s been really helpful on international flights where carry-on luggage is sometimes screened by the security people opening and sifting through the case. The packing cubes keep things neat and organized but still visible.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your trip!

Re: How do you pack for ZW travel?

Thanks, Sandra -- Thorough and helpful ideas -- I especially like the tip about having the flight attendant add milk to your cereal! It occurs to me that the airport restaurants probably also sell boxed milk if necessary. The distinction between dry and slippery foods is also helpful, as I hadn't even thought about that (despite the fact that I watched when my sister-in-law had to open her baby food jars and taste them to satisfy airport security). (That was the same trip where I learned that, when flying with a cat, they make you take it out of the carrier and carry it through the metal detector.)

I think I will also take a little spray bottle and a couple sugar packets, and make my own sugar water hairspray upon arrival.  :)

P.S. By chance, I ran across a link to this recipe for an oatmeal bar that would be ideal for travel! I will have to try it: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-baked-oatmeal-recipe.html

Update on baking soda dilemma

My brother found something on the TSA website that strongly discouraged packing baking soda for travel, as the fine powder apparently causes false alarms on some of their screening equipment. So I guess I won't be packing it after all. Might have to use actual toothpaste for a week or so... :(

Re: Update on baking soda dilemma

That's unfortunate to hear about the baking soda. I wonder what Bea and her family used on their trips to France. This may not work for everyone, but maybe you could use liquid Dr. Bronner's as an all-in-one product (toothpaste, shampoo, body wash)?
Scott Scott

Re: Update on baking soda dilemma

We have always used the baking soda - packed in our "parmesan" shaker jars.  So far we have not been stopped while traveling (between the US and France, and within the US).  In fact, I had a TSA agent manually go through my medicine kit on my last work trip, and no problem with the tooth powder...on the other hand, he took my the razor from my shaver :(

Re: Update on baking soda dilemma

Good to know--it certainly simplifies my packing!
Victoria Victoria

Re: How do you pack for ZW travel?

On the plane, I ask for the drink in the can to eliminate the cup. Yes, it isn't cold, but I am willing to sacrifice for less trash. I keep the can if they don't recycle till I find a container.

Re: How do you pack for ZW travel?

Update on this: I still have a LONG way to go in this department. And I've learned that Russia does not recycle at all, at least as far I could tell.

I wanted to put in a plug for the GoToob refillable travel tubes, which I'd seen recommended elsewhere (also) and can now attest to the value of. They have a nice wide mouth, so are very easy to refill.

http://www.amazon.com/Humangear-Travel-Bottle-Blue-Medium/dp/B002WUVOBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312504856&sr=8-3

I like the ones with the suction cups, although I'll warn you not to leave them hanging on the wall for long, or they will fall and the cap will break. :( On the plus side, the company kindly provides replacements if this happens. :)

If you are filling your shampoo bottles from a gallon size container, you might also want to use these at home in the shower too... If we all bought our shampoo by the gallon, it would eliminate the need to worry about the intermediate containers to carry it home in!