How do you clean your Klean Kanteen?

Julie Julie

How do you clean your Klean Kanteen?

We got rid of soda! Yippeeee! We switched to homemade iced tea and I invested in Klean Kanteens for everyone (which really is an investment, BTW). Check that off the list. ;) My husband and I have the wide mouthed insulated variety. No problem there, just rinse it out with a bit of water and occasionally some dish soap, swirl and dry over night. Excellent. Here's the rub: I've got 2 kids and a baby (sippy cup adapter...loooove it!). You parents out there know what happens next. All the Kanteens have disappeared only to be rediscovered in the sandbox with 3-day-old milk inside covered with ants and a stink bug sniffing at the mouthpiece. This is going to need a bit more that a swirl with a drop of dish soap. So I went to Safeway. Nothing but plastic (which is effective, BTW, but against the ZW philosophy). So I went to Whole Foods. They've got plastic too. What the? So I reluctantly surf my way to Amazon. I love Amazon, but I refuse to pay for shipping so everything takes FOREVER to get to my house, plus there's all the shipping refuse, but at least that's recyclable. And we are voting with our wallet, right? So I figure supporting a company that is making sustainable products is worth the cardboard box (which I used to package up some old junk that I'm giving to my sister. Decluttering, check that off the list! ;)) Gosh, this is turning into a long story...Here's what I ended up buying:
http://www.amazon.com/Full-Circle-Home-Total-Cleaning/dp/B002WJIZ90/ref=pd_sbs_hg_1
I bought it for the brush because I figured I could use it as a bottle brush for the kids Kanteens. The sponge and wash clothes were just a bonus. Well, I'm sad to report that not only does the brush not fit the mouth of the Kanteen, but it is also made of plastic!!! *&%&^$* It is made of post-consumer recycled plastic, but in the end, it is going into my garbage. Sigh. So back to my question, How do you clean your Klean Kanteen, you know, when you really REALLY, want it to be clean?
Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

Re: How do you clean your Klean Kanteen?

This would work:

http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/plasticfree-water-bottle-brush-p-394.html

I'm kicking myself because I just bought a plastic bottle brush a month ago, when I started making my own salad dressing to save on waste.

It's a great website in general for non-plastic items.
Julie Julie

Re: How do you clean your Klean Kanteen?

Thanks!! I've placed my order already because the baby's sippy has already gone missing and, yes, it was full of milk, and yes, it was outside...

Thanks also for the tip of the website! Very cool! I'm sure I'll be using them often in the future.