Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

12

Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Thanks to a link here, I have found and fallen in love with Crunchy Betty! She's doing a honey challenge that some of you might be interested in joining.

http://crunchybetty.com/honey-challenge

The idea is you wash your face with honey (and rinse with water) for two weeks. That's it. One ingredient that most of us already have.

I joined the challenge and started last night. My face feels so nice I haven't even used moisturizer! What an awesome way to reduce the number of "products" in our lives...

If you wear makeup, the honey alone won't remove it. I rarely wear it, but I have recently found an awesome way to remove it. I tried out the oil-cleansing method of "washing" your face. WOW! The makeup slid right off my face and there was no stinging or any ill-effects at all. WAY BETTER than any eye makeup remover I've ever used (and I've used a lot of really "nice" - i.e. expensive - ones)!

So, you can join the honey challenge to wash your face either once or twice a day. If you wear makeup, wash however you wish at night to remove the makeup and then use honey in the morning. If you don't wear makeup, then use honey twice a day. There is a long list of benefits on the link above, along with the simple "how to" instructions and a funny video.

Will you join me???
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Ha, Ha!  I came just now to post the challenge!  I am in!  I started this morning!  I usually wash my face with olive oil at bedtime and my face wash in the morning.  When my face wash is used up, I will switch over to honey.  But this is a nice sneak preview!  I use it once or twice a week as a mask already.  It is amazing how soft my skin feels.  I wonder if there if the honey removes some dead skin cells like a peel-sort of.

I love the song Crunchy sang!

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I wonder what exactly works so well with the honey, too! I expected the stickiness of application, but I was rather pleasantly surprised by how fast and easy it rinses off. My face feels so nice!!!

I braided my DD's hair tonight (age 10) and noticed she still has bumps on her cheeks. We had tried OCM twice last week. I washed her cheeks and chin with honey tonight and she is joining the challenge, also. :)

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Anyone else dong this along with me and MTNgirl???

All is going terrific! My skin is neither oily nor dry anywhere. Not too unusual for me over the last few years, but this is summer. Right now, we are having high 80s and low 90s temps. A few weeks ago, when we had very similar weather, my face got a tad oily. Not this time, baby!

Guess what else? I have been able to skip my summertime toner and moisturizer most of the time. Talk about simplifying and cutting costs!!! :heart:

The only odd thing is just tonight, I feel bumps on my face. Visually, all is well. To the touch, though, it feels like the honey is drawing out the impurities from my skin. It is very subtle ATM. I'm sticking to the raw, unfiltered honey morning and night and will see where it takes me... ;)
OneHotMomma OneHotMomma

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I used honey last night and this morning.  I never would have thought to use honey on my face but it seems to be doing a pretty good job. Thanks for posting this here, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Her video is really cute too!  : )
Andrea Andrea

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I'm in as well.  Started 2 nights ago and never expected my skin to feel so good afterward!  Also pleasantly surprised with how easily it washes off.  I'm a bit of a penny pincher and was surprised as well with the small amount you need... just less than 1/2 a tsp will do, and the benefits are many!   I feel like I'm really pampering myself!

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Woo Hoo! We're having a honey wash party! :)
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I love the idea that the raw honey comes in a glass jar that I can either re-use at home or take it to the natural food store to be reused for buying in bulk.

I bought a jar of honey for less than the cost of my current face wash!  I can't wait to use it up, so much less stuff sitting on my bathroom shelf!

I have had dry skin though with the honey wash; so I have been putting on a little jojoba oil.

Do you think if you were to fly somewhere that the crystalized raw honey would be considered a liquid?  And can you take it across states or overseas?

I am not sure if you can buy raw honey in stores where I live.  I have looked in lots of grocery stores and our natural food store and no raw honey.  I ended up ordering online because our farmer's market had not opened yet.  I have go and and see if I can purchase from someone local before summer is over though!

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I will be putting the honey in a 3 oz plastic container (reused face wash container to be exact) when we travel in August and adding it to my single baggie of toiletries I am allowed. That will actually reduce the number of little bottles I will need to travel with now. :)

My honey is crystallized, but I may add some water to it for the above travel situation...or more likely, leave room to add water once I am there. I do not wish to hunt down raw honey on that particular trip. I use so little of the honey that 3 oz is more than enough.

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I'm in! :)

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

How's the honey washing going for everyone???

I am lovin' it!
NatalieInCA NatalieInCA

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Me too!! It has been 2 weeks now and I love it. DH started yesterday.... he too wants soft and glowing skin lol
Did it help with the bumps on your DD's cheeks?
NatalieInCA

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Yes, actually, it did! We were not able to do two weeks, though, since she was at Girl Scout camp in the mountains for the second week. She is the only child I know who does NOT like honey. Not the taste, not the smell, not the feel, nothing about honey...hot, cold, warm, nothing. She DOES, however, love the oil-cleansing method (OCM). She still has a few bumps on one cheek and I just asked her if we could finish the honey washing until they are gone and it was a no-go. I might try convincing her later or I might offer the OCM instead and see if that will clear it up the rest of the way.

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Fab so far, and I think my pores are shrinking too! I'm still using Olay moisturizer, but only for the SPF -- weighing options for eliminating that as well. Skin feels super smooth...

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I infused rose petals (from friends' bushes who do not use pesticides) in raw honey for two weeks in my sunny West-facing window. I strained out the rose petals and bottled the honey yesterday. I made tea with the strained-out honey-coated rose petals. Then, the rose petals went into the garden under a cardboard egg carton for composting.

The rose honey tea was DELICIOUS!

The rose-infused honey is fabulous to wash my face! No moisturizer needed. Wow!
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Rose petals!  That sounds heavenly!

I am now using up my former face wash then will go to my plan of evening OCM and am honey wash.  I found I do need to continue the OCM at night rather than honey am and pm for the clearest skin.  I did start getting complements on my complexion though!  I have been having adult acne for the last two or three years, so this was huge!

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Yippeee for clear complexions! :)

I've been alternating honey wash with using up my face wash and I've been doing OCM whenever I wear makeup. It's all working for me!
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

Anyone still using honey for face wash?  How is it working on winter skin for you?

My face wash finally ran out the week before last so I have been using honey morning and night since.  Two zits since then, one appeared and vanished in less than two days, the other one coincided with the time of the month but is starting to heal within a week.

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I've been using up an older face wash, so no honey for awhile. I still use my homemade toner, aloe vera, face serum, and eye serum. All is well, but I have decreased the aloe and increased the face serum twice and I can feel I need to adjust again.

Re: Honey challenge...good for zerowaste...

I used the rose-infused honey this morning just because I read this yesterday...Thanks! :)

I also ditched the aloe for awhile. My skin feels great!
12