Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

MyWasteLessLife (Steph) MyWasteLessLife (Steph)

Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

Hello All,

I am making a big push to get myself well on the path toward zero waste--and I've been shopping for jars like crazy.

The container store sells some GORGEOUS french hermetic jars (gorgeous because they're uniform in shape and wide mouth), but the description doesn't mention being safe for canning (it only mentions freezing).

I am curious whether this is because the jars may in fact not be suitable for canning, or if it is simply not recommended since the USDA does not recommend canning via hermetic jars.

Does anyone know if ANY hermetic jar will do for canning?

Here's a link to the lovely jars
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/jarsTerrines?productId=10005560&green=24290671832
Stephanie mywastelesslife.blogspot.com eithereality.blogspot.com

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

This post was updated on .
Can't tell from the photo but if they're Le Parfait, they're ok for canning (according to the company).

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

FWIW, the USDA says: "Other commercial jars with mouths that cannot be sealed with two-piece canning lids are not recommended for use in canning any food at home"  and "Regular and wide-mouth Mason-type, threaded, home-canning jars with self-sealing lids are the best choice."
I think the argument is it's harder to tell there's a sealing failure with the hermetic jars.

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

I read somewhere recently that there IS a way to tell with hermetically sealed jars. The gasket has an extra piece (like for a thumb grip or something) and that piece will point a different direction when it is sealed than when it is not. The thing is, though, that you have to leave it unclamped in order to "read" it correctly.

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

This post was updated on .
With Weck canning jars, the rubber gasket tab will point down when properly sealed and the lid will stick firmly onto the jar, even without the metal clips. With the Le Parfait and Fido jars, the best way to test the seal is to unclamp the metal clasp and try to lift the lid (the "lid-lifting test"). You should not be able to pull open the lid, no matter how strongly you tug at the lid. You can also tell that the vacuum seal was intact when you attempt to open the jar. When you pull open the gasket tab, you should hear a distinct "wphfff" sound that is produced by breaking the vacuum (air rushes into the jar). I read that it is a good idea to store the jar unclamped because if anything grows inside, the air produced by the bacteria will break the vacuum seal and push the lid off, giving you a clear signal that something is wrong.

For more directions on how to use the Weck jars, here's a link to their website.

Like the thread "Canning fears" discusses, I'm somewhat nervous about using non-USDA approved canning methods, especially since the consequences of food poisoning can be so serious. I'm considering the use of pressure canning as a way to kill off the scarier organisms that survive water bath processing, especially for low-acid fruits like tomatoes.

UPDATE: Since this initial post, I've started to pressure can veggies and tomatoes with the Le Parfait jars, with good results. See "Pressure Cooker Suggestions?" thread for more details.
MyWasteLessLife (Steph) MyWasteLessLife (Steph)

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

Thanks to you all for the excelllent, very informative answers. In the end I went with Fido hermetic jars that do claim to be canning safe.

Cheers!
Stephanie mywastelesslife.blogspot.com eithereality.blogspot.com
MyWasteLessLife (Steph) MyWasteLessLife (Steph)

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

Thanks to you all for the excelllent, very informative answers. In the end I went with Fido hermetic jars that do claim to be canning safe.

Cheers!
Stephanie mywastelesslife.blogspot.com eithereality.blogspot.com

Re: Hermetic Jars...will any hermetic jar work for canning?

The Fido jars also work well as canning jars. I like how the jars all share the same gasket size, so it's easy to replace the gaskets each time you can. One advantage I've noticed with the Le Parfait jars is that they take up less room in the canning pot vs. Fido jars of the same fill capacity. The Fido jars have squared sides and the glass is slightly thicker. This may be an issue if you're canning with a small pot or pressure cooker.