Help - my family eats like a pack of ravenous wolves

Margery Margery

Help - my family eats like a pack of ravenous wolves

I am looking for more ZW ideas for feeding continually hungry family members.  My family consists of myself ( the mom), my runner-husband, teen son, and two pre-teen daughters.   They all eat a ton, and frequently, and all are thin.

We eat vegetarian dinners 1-2 x per week.  I also make a quadruple batch of pancakes or waffles every week and freeze.  We use leftovers for lunches when possilbe.  I have made homemade granola bars, and bulk popcorn (and fruit, veggies). I need more ZW ideas for food, as this is still the biggest source of trash in our home.  Both meal and snack ideas, please.  I do not want to live in the kitchen, and we do have a food budget.  :-D

Thanks a million.
zoebird zoebird

Re: Help - my family eats like a pack of ravenous wolves

What is coming from packaging?

So far, our only packing left is 6 plastic bags from our frozen goods, 2 plastic wrapped chickens (can't get them otherwise), and the container of coconut cream. Luckily, everything is recyclable.

I was able to get pretty much everything at the bulk store that i normally get in bags (nuts, dried fruit, spices). We transitioned our meats to jars, finally.

I'm not sure what your family eats that requires packaging, so if you know, then you can find alternatives.
Erin Erin

Re: Help - my family eats like a pack of ravenous wolves

I hope this doesn't sound too over-the-top, but have you considered either hunting or hooking up with hunters in your area?

We are a family of six and my kids eat a TON of food as well. We're not really grain people as we just don't feel well on that sort of diet. We eat mostly meat and veggies and while our veggies come package-free from either our own garden, our CSA or the farmers' market, our bulk beef share comes individually wrapped in plastic. :(

In the past, we've bought a whole goat from the farmer and butchered it ourselves (he slaughtered it and halved it for us so we took home two sides.) We were able to wrap it in paper and the price was amazing.

If there are a lot of hunters in your area, you could post an ad at your local sporting goods store (or whatever local store sells hunting goods) that you're interested in buying venison (wrapped in paper.)

I think a stew or roast is one of the easiest and most hands-off meal one can make. I like to throw a couple of roasts in the oven at the beginning of the week and slice them thin and just keep them in the fridge for the week. Same goes with sausages and chicken - I'll often cook large amounts of meats once a week so I don't need to during the week. I find it easier to throw together a veggie side dish to go along with it at mealtimes - especially since I never know what I'll be getting from our CSA.

I've also found that for my family, when the kids eat more carby/snacky foods, they're constantly asking for more food whereas if they're eating more protein and fat, they're satiated for longer periods of time.