Hair Styling Products

Mary Mary

Hair Styling Products

I have just started moving over to a zero waste life so I still have a lot of container products.  What do women use for hair styling?  I have very fine hair, so I am usually using a root lifter, heat protectant, and hair spray.  Of course this creates a lot of waste not to mention the aerosol cans.  Any suggestions for alternatives?
Jacqueline Jacqueline

Re: Hair Styling Products

Mary, I have fine wavy/curly hair. After much experimenting, this is what works for me:

- shampoo with quinoa or rye flour, mixed to a paste with water (don't knock it till you try it!), 2-3 times/wk. I always have quinoa in the house, so I grind it as needed in my Thermomix. You need to rinse really well. Hair can smell a little 'grassy' before it dries, but then it' smells "neutral", according to my boyfriend
- 'dry' shampoo the roots inbetween washes with arrowroot flour (cornflour would work too)
- olive oil massaged into scalp and hair and left on overnight (with a towel on the pillow), in winter when I notice my scalp is itchy and dry. Washed off in quinoa 'shampoo' the next morning.

I've found I don't need any styling products, which is a far cry from my pre-zero waste days (shampoo, conditioner and two styling products every day). I think all the products I used was actually weighing my fine hair down.
I usually use a hairdryer too; I think the olive oil had been important to manage dryness. My hair has NEVER looked this good!

I have used a salt solution (1 tsp salt in 1 cup water) when I needed more hold, or wanted 'beach' hair. I You might want to experiment with the concentration. I mixed it up with warm water and left it to dissolve thoroughly while I was in the shower.

If my hair is 'fly away' between washes, I mix one tiny drop of oil in my hands with water until it emulsifies (turns whitish) and scrunch the ends with this.

And I cut my own hair using a CreaClip (plastic, sadly - purchased before I went No Waste). Bea has promised a blog post on how she cuts hers; I'm looking forward to that!

As well as the no-waste savings, I saved about $3000 a year from what I used to spend on hair and a heap of time.

jessica55 jessica55

Re: Hair Styling Products

As you mentioned that you are having a fine hair, it is better to avoid hair sprays. There are several hair oils and shamppos available which can be trusted for gaining thick hair. Just try them.
Jane Antony Jane Antony

Re: Hair Styling Products

Exactly....I agree to what Jessica has said. Don't spoil your hair with the overuse of shampoos.