Hair Styling Products

Mary Mary

Hair Styling Products

I have just started moving over to a zero waste life so I still have a lot of container products.  What do women use for hair styling?  I have very fine hair, so I am usually using a root lifter, heat protectant, and hair spray.  Of course this creates a lot of waste not to mention the aerosol cans.  Any suggestions for alternatives?
Jacqueline Jacqueline

Re: Hair Styling Products

Mary, I have fine wavy/curly hair. After much experimenting, this is what works for me:

- shampoo with quinoa or rye flour, mixed to a paste with water (don't knock it till you try it!), 2-3 times/wk. I always have quinoa in the house, so I grind it as needed in my Thermomix. You need to rinse really well. Hair can smell a little 'grassy' before it dries, but then it' smells "neutral", according to my boyfriend
- 'dry' shampoo the roots inbetween washes with arrowroot flour (cornflour would work too)
- olive oil massaged into scalp and hair and left on overnight (with a towel on the pillow), in winter when I notice my scalp is itchy and dry. Washed off in quinoa 'shampoo' the next morning.

I've found I don't need any styling products, which is a far cry from my pre-zero waste days (shampoo, conditioner and two styling products every day). I think all the products I used was actually weighing my fine hair down.
I usually use a hairdryer too; I think the olive oil had been important to manage dryness. My hair has NEVER looked this good!

I have used a salt solution (1 tsp salt in 1 cup water) when I needed more hold, or wanted 'beach' hair. I You might want to experiment with the concentration. I mixed it up with warm water and left it to dissolve thoroughly while I was in the shower.

If my hair is 'fly away' between washes, I mix one tiny drop of oil in my hands with water until it emulsifies (turns whitish) and scrunch the ends with this.

And I cut my own hair using a CreaClip (plastic, sadly - purchased before I went No Waste). Bea has promised a blog post on how she cuts hers; I'm looking forward to that!

As well as the no-waste savings, I saved about $3000 a year from what I used to spend on hair and a heap of time.

jessica55 jessica55

Re: Hair Styling Products

As you mentioned that you are having a fine hair, it is better to avoid hair sprays. There are several hair oils and shamppos available which can be trusted for gaining thick hair. Just try them.