Gift for 5 year old boys birthday party

Vintage Princess Vintage Princess

Gift for 5 year old boys birthday party

Hi
I am going to a birthday for a five year old boy. I would like to get him a gift from me and two other people that is zero waste. Any recommendations? He lives in Woodland Hills, CA.

His parents take him to do every activity in town. His Mom receives so many gifts that she constantly donates them to friends or non-profits.

Re: Gift for 5 year old boys birthday party

Here are some gifts I plan on giving my little one:

A  garden of his own ( a wine barrel turned planter filled with dirt, compost, seeds, a handful of Popsicle sticks to mark them with, and a sign purchased from the thrift store and re-painted by my mother who paints to say "Eli's Garden"

A tee pee built from 5 wooden dowels from the salvaged building supply store covered in compostable un bleached hemp or cotton fabric-lots of DIY tutorials for this are on pinterest.

A floor mat sewn from thrifted clothing fabric with lots of roads and intersections and things for him to play with cars on. ( tutorials on pinterest )

A rope swing ( gotta have the tree for it)

Tickets to take him and some friends to a movie of his choice and maybe dinner or ice cream too.

Tickets to children's theater

A day at the water park with a friend

Vintage Princess Vintage Princess

Re: Gift for 5 year old boys birthday party

Hi Trish
Thank you so much! Those are all fantastic ideas. I am a young professional with limited time on my hands. And this is for my friends' son.

I ended up getting him five children's books from the Goodwill around the corner from me. I wanted to mention that my friend was going to go in on a gift with me, but when she found out I was giving a used gift, she said she was giving a Club Penguin membership and that we could just give gifts separately.

I disagree with starting a five year old on a consumption driven video game and am hurt that she does not share my values. I can agree to disagree.
Jell Jell

Re: Gift for 5 year old boys birthday party

Hang in there and keep on giving "used" gifts that are appropriate. I have been doing it for years and have found that moms are starting to understand and appreciate the effort and value that goes into the process.

When my first child was four, we had a shared birthday party with one of his little friends. There were 25 guests. The party was a huge success, with the exception that we ended up with 17 presents, plus all of the ones from family. The haul was overwhelming, and I doled out the presents over the course of a year.

Two years later, he wanted to have another big party. I agreed, but this time we settled that we would only take donations to the Red Cross for the victims of Hurricane Sandy; no presents. The party guests and their parents were happy to comply, and the party raised $170.  It was a relief not to have to find bins for the new toys, homes for the toys that needed to be moved on, and recycling or tossing out packaging for another 17 new toys. Not to mention, the families donated anonymously and didn't have to feel like they needed to spend more than they could afford on a present.

I love this community for consistently forcing me to think outside of...and sometimes completely without!...the box!