Getting rid of hard copies

Janette Janette

Getting rid of hard copies

Hi,

I'm still very nervous about getting rid of hard copies of documents, although I know it's logical that most are not needed as long as you have them in digital format. I am so sick of my paper clutter that keeps growing and growing, that takes up so much of my time to file, and I really want to invest in a scanner and store everything on my computer along with a backup. But I get very anxious when I think of shredding everything!

I guess most of what I'm worried about is medical papers. What if someone in my family has to file for disability someday? Will we have what we need?

Can you offer any stories of reassurance? I know I probably sound crazy! :)

Thanks for your help!

Re: Getting rid of hard copies

One possibility would be an exercise: pretend everyone in your family had to file right now. Research what needs to be in hard copy, what can be a PDF, etc.  as well as best way to store: hard drive, cloud, etc. May be a bit of a pain, but would surely put your mind at ease.
I have been amazed, having recently been dealing with a property sales, what can be done as a PDF. That is, legal documents sent as a PDF to me, I print, sign/whatever, scan, send back as PDF. Never been asked for the original. Wish I knew how to do legally acceptable e-signature, then no paper!
Janette Janette

Re: Getting rid of hard copies

Thanks, Jay. Your experience does make me feel better! And that is a good idea to do some research.

Another idea I have is to go ahead and get my scanner and start scanning and shredding away, but do the medical stuff last. Lord knows I have enough other paper files to keep me busy for a long time! By the time I get through the other stuff and nothing explodes, maybe my mind will be at ease to do the medical stuff or, if I need to keep the printed medical documents, that will be one of the few batches of printed stuff I'll have.

I just know keeping up with this paper clutter is about to drive me nutsos, and I need to make a change!

Anybody have recommendations for the best inexpensive scanner?

Janette

On Feb 10, 2013 4:21 PM, "Jay [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
One possibility would be an exercise: pretend everyone in your family had to file right now. Research what needs to be in hard copy, what can be a PDF, etc.  as well as best way to store: hard drive, cloud, etc. May be a bit of a pain, but would surely put your mind at ease.
I have been amazed, having recently been dealing with a property sales, what can be done as a PDF. That is, legal documents sent as a PDF to me, I print, sign/whatever, scan, send back as PDF. Never been asked for the original. Wish I knew how to do legally acceptable e-signature, then no paper!

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Getting-rid-of-hard-copies-tp4025216p4025217.html
To unsubscribe from Getting rid of hard copies, click here.
NAML