Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

Thaya (Helga) Thaya (Helga)

Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

We all know that burning fuel is a huge part of our waste and environmental impact problem.  I've set a goal to use 1 tank of gas for the summer ("the one tank challenge").  It's enough for me to run to the store, and make one other trip as needed.  Every other trip happens by bike, walk, or public transit.  Anyone interested in joining the challenge?

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

How's it going? Wasn't possible for us, but am curious as to your progress and what you've learned.
Thaya (Helga) Thaya (Helga)

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

Thanks for asking Jay.  I was a little disappointed no one joined me.  It's been great!  I live 7 miles from where I work and I've biked nearly everyday this summer, barring one week with a bad cold.   I drive to the store once per week and try to trip chain for other errand needs.  I've had to take a few impromptu trips, like taking the dog to the vet.   I've driven to work a few other times for early meetings or needing to carry large things.   I gave myself 250 miles for the summer and I'm at about 208 now with only 3 weeks until Labor Day.  I'm sure I'll make it.  The lesson is only that it was really easy and no trouble at all.  Also on the days it has rained I learned my mother was right...  I'm not made of sugar and do not melt.

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

GTK. Glad it's working!
We've cut back (gas is insanely expensive here), and it's definitely requiring greater organizational skills to limit ourselves to once a week shopping/errand running :-)) Cheaper groceries, too, since we have to make do sometimes.
Thaya (Helga) Thaya (Helga)

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

I guess the real lesson is the greatest obstacle to making a change is inertia.  Once you've tried something new you may find it's much easier than you thought.  That can go for zero waste, better commuting choices, or any other part of your life you may feel is holding you back.  Now that I've made the switch, it seems easy.

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

Well said!!

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

Agreed!

We actually made the driving changes many years ago. We live in a community where we can walk to many places and we do so regularly. DH works too far away for anything other than driving a car, but we make up for it in other ways (combining errands/activities, walking whenever possible, owning a hybrid, carpooling whenever possible, etc). Riding bikes is a leisure activity, though. Our daughter is still a little young for bicycle transportation in our very hilly community, but she's gaining strength, skill, and stamina under Daddy's tuteluge. Walking is easier and within reasonable distances.

I didn't join your challenge for two reasons... 1) We've already done this to a large degree; and 2) Summer is actually the time when we do the most driving and we conserve during the other seasons. For comparison purposes, I have filled up my car with gas 9-11 times per year for the last five years.

Re: Gas! Into the air instead of the landfill.

Karin, that's an great way to eval fuel savings! Our hybrid's been "filled" 9 times so far this year. Don't think I'll make your average, sigh. DH's scooter gets filled every 2-3 months :-)