Galette des Rois

Catherine Catherine

Galette des Rois

Hello, I wonder if any of you can help me find a suitable recipe to replace the traditional Galette des Rois, served on January 6.

I have successfully avoided purchasing packaged food for a few years now, but missed our tradition of having a Galette des Rois on Kings' Day. (My father was French and we grew up with this tradition.)

I decided to make an exception just this once and purchased frozen puff pastry to make the galette. I bought a brand I had used in the past and thought it would be packaged the same as before - in a cardboard box, with an aluminum tray holding the pastry dough. The tray would be wrapped in plastic film, but as I mentioned, I was making a rare exception to do this.

So, imagine my surprise when I opened the package to find it was in a polystyrene tray! My guilt from buying the plastic film skyrocketed when I saw this piece of styrofoam! I almost felt sick about it. I even wrote an email to the company telling them how disappointed I was, and asked them to change their practices.

Anyway, so I now I know I will never buy this stuff again. But now what? I am not up to making puff pastry myself, so what are some good alternative recipes?

Any French people out there who have enjoyed a different type of cake on this holiday? Can you share your recipes?

Thank you in advance for your ideas and support.
Catherine Catherine

Re: Galette des Rois

Update: I have found a recipe for puff pastry that is much easier than I thought it would be! I can totally justify the small amount of extra effort in order to keep this tradition alive in our family. Even better, by making it myself, I won't have to hold my nose and buy the packaged version.

Re: Galette des Rois

http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/pastries/puff-pastry

Here's a vegan version, thought I would share it as the blogger gives detailed instructions with pix. Definitely a weekend project!

Re: Galette des Rois

Catherine, sorry so late, but out of curiosity I googled "fresh puff pastry San Francisco" and got this info on Chowhound. Several, including the recipe, sound promising.