Freezing meats

Alexis Alexis

Freezing meats

Dear Bea:

I am investigating going zero waste and think I would like to phase in certain practices. I figured the place to start was the kitchen at least until i am done with grad school.

It occurred to me that I wasn't sure how you kept your meats. I understand that  you bring containers to the store to buy it, but meat tends to go bad quickly. So what do you do to protect meats from freezer burn until you have a chance to eat them that week? Maybe you don't eat much meat and only eat it in the couple days after you go to the store? I also ventured to guess that if you buy chicken, you might cook it up immediately because it stores longer and is convenient for lunches that way. But I can't imagine that you would do that with steaks or fish. Any advice?
SublimeT SublimeT

Re: Freezing meats

I think that Bea is able to control her schedule enough to go shopping for food very frequently. I did not see a walk in pantry in her interviews so there is limited food storage space. I don't think that they are very prepared for an earthquake and am curious about the responses you will get. For earthquake preparedness, check out red cross. They also have an app for that.

For freezing, your guess is as good as mine!

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Alexis [via Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Bea:

I am investigating going zero waste and think I would like to phase in certain practices. I figured the place to start was the kitchen at least until i am done with grad school.

It occurred to me that I wasn't sure how you kept your meats. I understand that  you bring containers to the store to buy it, but meat tends to go bad quickly. So what do you do to protect meats from freezer burn until you have a chance to eat them that week? Maybe you don't eat much meat and only eat it in the couple days after you go to the store? I also ventured to guess that if you buy chicken, you might cook it up immediately because it stores longer and is convenient for lunches that way. But I can't imagine that you would do that with steaks or fish. Any advice?

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Freezing-meats-tp4026481.html
To start a new topic under Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Forum, click here.
NAML

--
Tabitha Kostka

Re: Freezing meats

Le Parfait jars are OK for the freezer with no freezer burn since they're virtually airtight, so I would imagine, like anyone, she would freeze meats that she won't get to quickly. Seafood/fish would probably be eaten same or next day...
mpenhoet mpenhoet

Re: Freezing meats

Hi there- I just joined the forum so this is a later reply to your question.

 I Used to use my Le Parfait jars as freezer containers for leftover stews etc and sadly they mostly cracked in the freezer. I have strayed from my zero waste ways as life got ever more complicated in our family (we are a family of 6 or 7 depending on who is rotating through!)

I was thinking yesterday about this issue because I am trying to get back on track- I think I can "live with " the idea of having zip lock bags that I reuse only for the purpose of freezing items. I just cannot live as most Europeans do with shopping once or 3 times a week to live from the refrigerator and NOT the freezer.

What I have learned in the 6 years I have dabbled with this lifestyle is that being kind to one's self is paramount. I used to beat myself up about not sticking with "the program" but American life is very hard especially if you live in a suburban environment with a large family.

I would be interested to hear how others tackle the "freezer issue"- for those of us with 4 or 5 children, unless much of the week is devoted to shopping cooking and storing food, it is highly challenging to maintain a glass only fresh food every day lifestyle.

Thanks for posting you got me thinking again!
Lucy Lucy

Re: Freezing meats

Hi Alexis
I use airtight stainless steel containers for meat such as Onyx and the ones available from the Life without Plastic website. They come in lots of sizes but are expensive..I have just been gradually building up a collection.
Hope this helps:)