Freezing beans

Lindsey Lindsey

Freezing beans

I make big batches of beans and normally freeze them in ziploc bags, but I've been trying to think of an alternative to plastic and disposable.  I really don't like the idea of using glass, as I have lots of kids getting in and out of the freezer and actually I'm quite clumsy myself...I can't imagine the debris from dropping frozen glass on the garage floor!

Any ideas?
HABGallardo HABGallardo

Re: Freezing beans

I have the same worry. I found a company that makes stainless airtight containers, called "ONYX" out of Canada. It's a bit pricey, but they have a wide variety of sizes. I'm trying to figure out which sizes I need, since I usually freeze meat and stock. I've been using used water bottles for stock, because I live with people who continue to use them.

Anywho, you can find ONYX stuff on ebay and amazon.
Deborah Deborah

Re: Freezing beans

I expect it is just because I am stupid but why do you all agonise so much about using zip-loc bags?  You are putting them in the FREEZER for crying out loud!  25 bags weigh about 100g, the plastic in the structure of the freezer must weigh at least 25kgs and the average freezer last about 10 years.  A years supply of bags - say 250 - weighs 1 kg, or 10kg over 10 years.  Not to mention all the oil used to POWER the dratted thing.

These weights are only ball park figures (estimated from regularly shifting bags of feed @ 25kg, and occasionally moving the old freezer I use for storing feed which is minus it's metal motor.)

Yes, by all means reduce our dependence on PotPI (products of the petroleum industry).  Get on your bicycle and knit your own socks - but all this flap about less than an annual kilo of plastic! Such a waste of energy and thought.