Freezing/Heating Jars

MyWasteLessLife (Steph) MyWasteLessLife (Steph)

Freezing/Heating Jars

Dear Forum,

I have been freezing leftover sauces in jars similar to Le Parfait. My questions are
1) is it okay/wise to freeze sauces/food in the jars; and
2) is it okay to heat the jars and their contents over the stove on a low temperature

i have read that sudden temperature changes aren't a good thing, but wonder if it's do-able using a low temperature, and heating just long enough to get contents to slide out.

Any thoughts?
Stephanie mywastelesslife.blogspot.com eithereality.blogspot.com

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

Hi, Steph. Yes, to both of your questions. I've frozen and reheated food in the Le Parfait jars many times and have not encountered any problems. I have the straight-sided, "terrine" style jars, so it makes it easier to get the frozen mass of food to slide out of the jar. Otherwise, you can let the jar defrost slowly in the fridge for a day or two. Another idea would be to let the jar soak in some warm water for 30 min or so.

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

Hey Steph,
I pretty much concur with Sandra, but just wanted to agree with what you've read about temperature changes in glass. It's called thermal shock, and even happens with Pyrex upon occasion, so be careful! Nasty.

Not sure I'd heat up on the stove, unless you put in pot of room temperature water to start with.
Su Su

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

I would warm a pot of water (not boil) on the stove & then place the glass jars in it
You can leave the pot on the stove if it's electric.

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

Good points, Jay and Su, about reheating the jars. The way I have been doing it, I start out with a pot of cold water, add the jar, and let the whole thing slowly heat up on low-med heat. It takes about 30 min (and maybe longer) for the contents to heat through. An alternative method I use more frequently is just running the frozen jar under some warm tap water, until the contents are able to slide out of the jar (this is where the straight-sided jars come in handy).

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

We do one of the following:

~ If we know we need it, we move it to the fridge the day before we need it. If only life were always so easy...LOL

~ When we didn't know in advance, we place the frozen jar in COLD tap water in a dishwashing bucket to thaw. It usually thaws in 30 minutes, or thereabouts, enough to get the contents out of the jar and into a pot to heat more thoroughly.
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

I cracked a mason jar on the stove heating it up at low temperature.  I will have to practice Karin's method for last minute things though; I am debating not replacing the microwave when it dies.  It is about 18 years old, so I it has to be getting to be on its last legs.  The only bad thing is, I use it every night all winter to heat up the rice bag for my feet.  Electric heating pads make me nervous.
jessica jessica

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

you can heat up your rice pack in the oven (given it's just in a regular cotton/natural casing) i have a cherry seed pillow i use that way and it only takes 10-15 minutes .  I just put a kitchen towel under it on the oven rack to avoid picking up and grime on the pillow. :)
ingodslove Amy f;) ingodslove Amy f;)

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

I've been putting frozen jars in the fridge to thaw overnight and about half the time, the jar is cracked in the morning.  I tried it with cheapo ikea jar and more expensive Italian ones.  Any ideas?
Sarah Sarah

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

I have a habit of overfilling and then cracking jars that my friends get their packaged spaghetti sauce in. Since I backed off on the amount I put in each jar before freezing, I haven't had any more breakage.
Cynthia Cynthia

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

So I bought some Le Parfait Jars. I washed them and put them out to dry and I noticed water stayed in the neck of the jar (between the jar and the metal).

I'm wondering if this will cause the metal pieces to rust.

Anyone have problems with their jars rusting?

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

I haven't, and have had some jars over 30 years! One thing I have noticed is that if washing in dishwasher you may have some sort of chemical reaction in the metal latch mechanism that makes it discolor and flake. Not sure what kind of metal it is.
Cynthia Cynthia

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

Thank you, Jay!

I have another question about glass jars. What do you use to write on the glass jars? A sharpie?

Re: Freezing/Heating Jars

You're welcome :)
Sharpie or china/grease pencil. Sharpie won't rub off as easily, but can be removed from glass with a bit of Vodka (!). Make sure glass is dry when marking.